Pure At Heart (20) When the past becomes the present

"Always remember that Allah's decisions are better than your wishes."

___________

I rubbed my hands together nervously as I walked down. Zaynah and her mom were standing right in the middle. I knew this was Maryan's another evil trick, but how could I convince Zayd's family to think so too?

"Yes?" I said politely as I went and stood in front of them.

"What is this?" she said as she pointed towards the envelopes on the ground. I looked at the envelopes and then at her. I didn't know what to say. What do I say?

"Hamna I asked you something!" her voice got loud which shook me. Her mother put her hand on Zaynah's shoulder as to calm her down. I gulped. "What about them?" I asked, staying as calm as I could. She picked up an envelope from the ground in rage and handed it to me.

"Read it and tell me what this is!" she spoke. I looked at her and then down at the letter in my hand. I didn't want to open it. I didn't want to read anything that was written in it. What will I reply about it? My hands were shaking as I opened it. I couldn't properly hold it to open it all the way. When I finally did, I saw nothing but hearts and colorful kisses stamps. I took a deep breathe before focusing on the wordings. I felt everyone staring at me. I felt like I was going to fall on the ground, but I kept standing with stiff feet as I read.

Dylan baby! Tomorrow Zayd and I are going on our honeymoon. I don't want to. I so wish it was you and not Zayd. One day when I can finally be confident, I will marry you. I hope you love me back. And don't worry about money. I have all of that planned out. Zayd's family is very rich. Anyway, I guess see you sometime later. Bye bye.. <3

Love, your dearest, Hamna. :)

My eyes got off the letter and now towards the smiling Maryan and the frowning Zaynah and Mrs. Siddiqui. I closed the letter and handed it back to Zaynah.

"I have no idea what this is", I said. Zaynah squinted her eyes. "Oh?" she said as she threw the letter down in rage. "Is there any other Hamna around?"

I could not get myself to speak at all. I looked down and then at her. "I didn't write that", I finally spoke up. I had never felt this confident and good in my life.

"Then who did?" Zaynah shouted. I stayed quiet. What do I tell her? She would never defend me against her cousin.

"Why Hamna? Zayd gave you everything you ever wanted. Love, wealth and most of all, happiness. He never made you upset or play with your feelings, then why did you? Why did you not respect him and his love?" Zaynah said as her voice got heavy and tears filled her eyes. "That was a very low step. Love letters to a non-muslim? I hate to call you my sister in law now. I wish I had looked beyond your good looks and had peeked a little in your character. Having a beautiful character is the real beauty but you... you have a very ugly character",  she finished.

Hearing her call my character ugly, filled my eyes with tears. I tried holding back my tears but I couldn't. They started falling on my cheeks as I wiped one after another.

"Zaynah...", I croaked as she picked the letters up. "Let me explain."

She looked at me. "Let you explain why you were such a hypocrite to my brother?" she asked. I shook my head as her mother spoke up. "I made a mistake choosing you for my son. You're a disgrace to me, my family, and your family", she said as she walked to her bedroom. She had a disappointed look on her face and I didn't know how to tell them that I actually wasn't. I wasn't. I was a good girl and those letters were fake.

"I didn't write those, trust me", I said in between my tears. Zaynah glared at me. "Then who did?" she asked.

I felt a lump in my throat as I tried to speak. "Maryan", I finally said. Zaynah looked at Maryan and her smile suddenly faded away.