Chapter 36

Sorry for the slow update! My university work was more important this week haha. And thank you all so much for the wonderful Birthday messages, they were all lovely! Have a great day, and let me know your thoughts on the story so far. How am I doing? I'd love to get feedback!

- Sian

"I told you, I owe you nothing." Kaiden subconsciously wrapped his fingers around Milokan's knuckles. He only noticed when the angel squeezed his in return. The demon had to bite his bottom lip to stop him from getting closer.

"Kaiden, I know you're only eighteen, but you are wise and very level-headed. You are more experienced with life than a demon the same age as your mother. Surely, you don't expect me to help you escape this world without coming with you?" Veronica stared at him with confidence.

Kaiden wasted a short moment, letting the silence settle.

"If you were involved with the last war, why didn't you escape when you had the chance? If you are lying to me, I will find out."

Everyone watched Veronica with narrowing eyes.

"Do you know how many demons were killed in the last war?" she questioned. "Every single one who entered the other world died. And I didn't get the chance to enter. The demon who ran the entire thing was greedy and kept it very secret. It was almost impossible to know the truth about what he was doing because so many of his followers were told different things, so when it happened, it was chaos."

"When what happened?" Milokan asked, a little confused.

"The tear between the two worlds."

"Veronica, how did the demons do it?" Kaiden asked.

"They made an instrument that would slowly rip the fabric between this world and the world they found."

"Okay, so where is this instrument?"

"Destroyed."

Kaiden shifted in his seat, a little irritated by her short answers.

"So, you can't get into the other world?" his voice was monotone from boredom.

"I can, but on one condition."

"You are not coming with us," Kaiden grumbled.

"I have a deal for you," Meloras spoke, making Veronica turn with interest. "We will give you Lucifer if you give us the device to open a tear into the other world. We know you have one, we're not stupid."

"What would I do with a scumbag like Lucifer? And there's a reason why we haven't escaped into the other world yet. It takes years to open one tear stable enough to transfer the living through it."

"I bet you have already started making one and did you ever think that if you were the one to kill Lucifer, you could take his position on the throne?"

Kaiden was impressed; his mother was always good at forcing ideas onto people.

Veronica scoffed and crossed her arms.

"What are you trying to say?"

"That you can be the next ruler of hell, obviously," Kaiden muttered.

"What, you think me, a black female, can rule hell?"

"We're not humans," Kaiden frowned. "You know yourself that demons don't discriminate as long as they can kill."

"True," Veronica sighed, "but it was worth a try." She then thought for a moment, letting her eyes scan Jeronah. He looked a little like Kaiden. "How would you bring our mighty lord to me?"