Chapter 42

Mark's P.O.V

"Don't be so nervous Mark. He can smell fear." Jessica whispered to me and pecked my cheek. My skin plumped up red with a blush and I couldn't help but smile awkwardly.

"Thanks. Here goes nothing."

I stepped to the door steps. I started to knock but before my hand could reach the wood, Mr. Matthews had already at the door.

"Hello sir, I'm-"

"Mark McGriffin. You did three years at a college in Georgia but then left due to finical problems. You're known on the streets as a player or womanizer."

"I would never think of playing your daughter."

"Probably thought of it already, but I know you wouldn't do something like that Mark. because if you did that, I'd have to kill you." He slapped my back and led me into the house.

It was an incredibly cozy and warm place and I slipped my suit cost off at the door. I prayed I didn't have any pit stains under my arms.

"Mark, this is my wife Lisa and my son Brandon."

Brandon looked to be about twenty and was slightly taller than me. He was also buff and had a strong hand shake.

Lisa seemed fragile. She shook my hand weakly and smiled even weaker. I wondered if she was sick or just naturally like that.

Mr. Matthews reached across the table and held his hand out to be.

"Let's do things formal like. I'm Eugene Matthews." I shook his hand and he nearly crippled mines from his strong grip.

"I do hope you like roast dear." Lisa called half-way into the kitchen.

"Sounds delicious."

"So Mark, what is it that you do for a living?"

"Multiple things. Odd jobs mostly until I can save up to do the thing I really want to do."

"And what's that?"

"I want to move to Australia and become an animal vet. I love animals and I have a soft spot for them."

"So what do you do now?"

"Construction. I help on ranches and stuff."

"Good money?"

"Decent. A roof, food, and a bed."

"Can't ask for much more."

"Agreed."

Despite his tough attitude Eugene seemed like a pretty cool guy. He wasn't exactly tough to talk to but I didn't let me guard up. He was waiting for a slip up.

Jessica sat comfortably and her fingers grazed the top of my hand. I smiled and she intertwined our fingers.

"Got your nails done?"

I looked down at the French tips she had done and admired the work.

"I did them myself."

"Impressive. They're nice."

"Thanks." She looked down as she smiled and it hurt because she had a gorgeous smile. I lifted her head with my finger and stared into her eyes.

"Please don't hide your smile."

She nodded and looked back across at her father who seemed amused by us. He sat back in his chair and called for a beer.

"Want one son?"

"Yes sir, please."

Lisa brought out two cold beers. Eugene took the top of his with his teeth, I used the side of the table.

"To Jessica." He held his glass up in the air waiting for me to finish the toast.

"To Jessica." I agreed and clicked the beer bottles together.

Dinner was a delicious combination of pot roast and mash potatoes. Mrs. Matthews brought out some cornbread and greens a little after she brought out the roast and potatoes to add to the dish.

By the time dinner was done I was as full as a tick. Mr. Matthews sat back in his chair and clicked his teeth.

"Me and Mark are going out on the balcony for a smoke and some coffee!" Eugene yelled to the family who sat in the living room playing a board game.

Eugene grabbed the tray of coffee and cigars and sat it on the balcony table. I took a cigar and he lit it for me.

"This sunset is sexy as hell." I mumbled to myself but heard a laugh out of Mr. Matthews.

"Can I tell you a story Mark?"

I nodded and he motioned for me to sit in one of the rocking chairs while he heaved himself into one.

"Long time ago there was this girl. She was born a little chunky baby, but everyone was convinced she'd grow out of it. She didn't and she was fifty pounds in kindergarten. She exercised and played sports and didn't even realize she was bigger until middle school rolled around. Everyone had boyfriends and girlfriends and she was left out because no one wanted to date the 'fat girl'. High school was no better. This little girl came to her father and said 'I would rather die then be fat another day in my life." And it hurt her father because he didn't see her as fat he saw her as his baby girl."

"That's some messed up stuff." I listened intently to his story. The plot was very moving.

"Well, she started skipping dinner. Claiming she had homework and would eat some breakfast. And then skipped breakfast, and then lunch. She starved herself until she was only drinking two glasses of water a day. She passed out and she looked into her daddy's eyes at the hospital and said 'why didn't you let me die? I'm not worth anything to anyone anyways'. Know why I told you that?"

"No sir."

"Jessica hurts. I've never seen her face light up like when she talks about you. So I'm begging you, please don't hurt her."

"I would never, think to hurt your daughter."

"Thank you son."

We finished our cigars and went back to the house. The family was playing poker and needed some teams. I wrapped my arms around Jessica waist hoping she would feel comfortable with the gesture after two dates.

She leaned back against my chest and together we won five games straight.