Chapter 10: Mate?

A/N: Hey guys! Another early chapter for you written by Chrystal (aka polaroidxirwin on Tumblr) and it'll probably be the last one for this week seeing as the next chapter is the split. Enjoy the next chapter and tell us what you guys think! :)

Chapter 10: Mate?

“What’s a mate?” I asked after a few minutes of silence. I’ve known Calum for a little less than a week and I’m suddenly his ‘mate’?

“Come with me to library. Please?” I pondered over it, deciding why not? My dad wasn’t here so might as well.

I wrote my dad a quick note saying I may not be home by sun rise, not to panic, and that I love him before leaving with Calum. He said that we could take his car since the only library open at this time is a couple miles away.

To say the car ride was awkward is an understatement. Neither of us spoke at all, only a soft murmur of music he had playing was heard. I tried to think of other things that weren’t questions because I knew that Calum could read minds or something. After 25 long and agonizing minutes, the car came to a stop in a small and somewhat abandoned parking lot.

“It’s just over here, stay close.” There was little lamp post that flickered ever few seconds and the atmosphere was very quiet. Every time we took a step the gravel would make the loudest sound and it echoed into the darkness of the night. Out in the corner, was a small building and it would’ve gone completely unnoticed if you didn’t look hard enough.

A small bell rung when the door opened, the beautiful sound echoing loudly. Calum pulled me towards the back of the building, and told me to sit down at one of the tables. I did as he said and watched as he walked off. The library was very ancient looking. The shelves were chipping, close to breaking and everything was covered in dust. Calum came back with a gigantic book in his hand. He slammed it on the table, dust flying everywhere causing both him and I to cough loudly. He flipped to the first page, eyes scanning for a page. He let out a small huff and then flipped the book open to a page in the middle.

“Okay, you want answers, right?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Here are your answers.” He pointed to a page in the book and I looked. There was a lot of pictures and the font was nearly impossible to read.

“When werewolves are born we are born with a mate. Not exactly with them, but there is somebody who is ours. I know that makes no sense, but just hear me out. When a werewolves’ mate is near, or is coming, both the werewolf and their mate have a vision; kind of like a dream. They know that they’re near and the get anxious. We get excited to meet the one person we’re destined to be with. The thing is, usually the mate is already a werewolf but you, you’re different. That’s why JJ hates you. She doesn’t think it’s fair that I’m in love with a regular.”

That I’m in love with a regular.

“So that was you.” I whispered mostly to myself. The day before moving in I had a dream about a wolf, and it was him. “You were the wolf that was in my backyard the first day I moved in. You were the wolf I dreamt about.”

Calum nodded, and sat next to me, his arms wrapping around my shoulders.

“I protect you because this is the first time this has happened in around 70 years. Everybody in JJ’s pack thinks it’s wrong for a wolf and a regular to mate, I protect you from them.” His head rested in the crook of my neck, his hair slightly tickling me, but I let him lean on me nonetheless.

“This is a lot to take in, Calum. So many questions still left unanswered.” My voice was barely audible as my fingers threaded and played with Calum’s hair.

“Just trust me, Amanda. I promise you that you’ll have all your answers soon.” We both stood up and began making our way to the car.

The ride back to my house wasn’t as bad, it was nice but suspense still lingered.

**

Calum and I sat in the car for a few minutes in complete silence.

“Hey Amanda?” I turned my head to face Calum and gave him a smile. His smile made my stomach drop and tickle and I couldn’t help but smile wider.

Maybe being his mate won’t be so bad.

“Trust me, sweetie. It won’t.” His smug smile made me blush and roll my eyes.

“Goodnight, Cal. See you tomorrow.” Calum leaned over and gave my cheek a sweet kiss before sitting down in his seat again.

“Night, beautiful.”