Chapter 15 - Farewell

REWRITTEN
_____________

The silence was nearly suffocating as the two twins stared at each other.

Even though it had been over two decades ever since George had talked to his brother, he couldn't remember him ever looking this serious. Especially not at himself.

He swallowed before speaking. "Fred?"

"You absolute git, George Weasley."

George startled. Whatever he had expected, it wasn't that. "What?"

"You don't even see it, do you?"

"See what?"

"That you're an absolute git."

Now the frustration was beginning to take over his shock. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Fred laughed, no humor apparent in his voice. "Let's just that if there was a 'Worst father of the year' award, you would be the ultimate winner, mate."

Anger was slowly crawling its way into his mind, festering underneath his skin as George scoffed. "What do you know of me being a father? You're-" he paused.

Fred quirked an eyebrow. "Dead?"

His brother closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose and letting out a heavy breath. "How did you even know?" he muttered.

"It doesn't matter how I know," Fred replied bluntly. "Me being dead does not excuse you for being a git."

"Then why don't you bloody explain why I'm being a git, huh?" George pushed him with a small glare. "It's been twenty-four years, Fred. Do you know how  terrified I was to even come here? Seeing you again? And the first thing you do is telling me I'm a horrible father and a git?"

Fred didn't relent at his words. "Well, that's the truth, innit? You've turned into a bloody git, Georgie."

George shook his head with a dark chuckle. "You don't understand."

"Listen; I get it. I died, I would grieve you as well. I would probably break if that were to happen. But that doesn't give you the right to push away your family. Your children!"

This wasn't fair. None of his words were fair. Fred didn't understand the pain he had gone through.

"You're my brother!" George snapped, the words full of anger and grief it nearly shattered Fred's heart. But he managed to hold himself strong.

"And guess what; she's your daughter! A daughter who's still alive and breathing, right under your nose!"

There was a stunned silence. The words sliding through the air like a sharp knife.

Fred didn't know what it was, but it was heartbreaking to see the realization of the words hit his brother as George stumbled back a step, the anger fading almost rapidly as he stared at the floor with wide eyes. His hands found the arm of the couch behind him, steading himself as he leaned against it.

Fred's chest was heaving, skin flushed with the recent anger as he managed to take deep breaths to calm himself down.

"I-" George was struggling, stuttering and running his hand through his hair almost harshly, clenching his fist. "Fuck."

Slowly making his way towards him, Fred lifted his hand, his arm hesitating only for a moment before putting it on his brother's shoulder with a firm grip - ignoring the small flinch that went through the man at the touch.