Chapter 18 | Truth

Wattpad unpublished this chapter?? So here it is again.

Hello, I'm back lol. Sorry for the long wait, it will probably not happen again. I just lost inspiration, was sick for a while and my addiction to ffxv a new empire is also to blame haha. Anway, I found it pretty difficult to write this chapter. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it :)

Corrections are appreciated, and so is feedback ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A deafening silence engulfed the reincarnated.

All of them, even Minato and Hiruzen, were waiting for the Uzumaki to respond. Asami ignored them, though, her eyes solely focused on the icy ones of Tobirama. He didn't waver, didn't hesitate, when those words left his mouth. He spoke confidently, sure of himself, as if he had known her secret for eternity.

''..Asami?'' Hashirama murmured, switching his gaze from his brother to the woman. ''Is it true?''

Her silence was already a confirmation, but Hashirama wanted to hear her say it.

Asami clenched her jaw, her eyes narrowing to slits as she glared at the younger Senju. She felt upset for a moment, until she remembered what she thought before.

It didn't matter anymore.

Even if they knew, it wouldn't influence her life on earth anymore. She wouldn't have to live with their disapproval and disappointment. And after returning to the Pure Land, Asami had all the time to explain her decisions thoroughly. Though she wasn't sure if she'd meet them there...

Sighing, she relaxed her face, the glare replaced by a calm expression. Releasing another breath, she turned to Tobirama. ''How did you know?''

Tobirama scoffed, letting out a taunting laugh. ''So it's true?'' He asked, and Asami gritted her teeth. He didn't know before, but now he did. He tricked her.

Hashirama looked t the Uzumaki. He never saw her for someone to keep her connection to Madara a secret. He was hurt because he felt that she couldn't confide in him. ''Why didn't you tell us, Asami?'' He murmured. ''And why did Madara keep silent, too?''

Asami pursed her lips. ''Most people in the village weren't exactly fond of Madara.'' She spoke softly. ''Madara was very well aware of this, and didn't want people to look at me in the same way just because I was with him.''

Hashirama's disappointment didn't fade in the slightest. ''What about us? You know you could have told us, right?.''

Asami's expression saddened. She understood why Hashirama felt hurt. He and Madara were the co-founders of Konoha, and Asami was his sister in law. Of course he'd expect to be told about the relationship between Asami and Madara.

''I'm sorry Hashirama, but it didn't feel right.'' Asami whispered, eyeing Tobirama for a second. The younger Senju was definitely one of the reasons why Madara and Asami kept silent. After all, Tobirama was known for his hatred for the Uchiha clan.

Hashirama noticed the Uzumaki's quick glance at his brother and immediately understood what that look meant. Asami didn't mean for it to be obvious, in fact, she did it unintentionally, but Hashirama saw and recognized the expression on Asami's face anyway.

The older Senju didn't say anything though. Starting an argument now would be pointless. Instead, so he decided to get answers to his other questions. ''So, when Madara left, you weren't killed or kidnapped.'' Hashirama spoke slowly. ''You went with him?''

Asami slowly nodded her head. ''I indeed chose to go with him.''

''But Madara died at the Valley of the End.'' Tobirama grunted. ''And you never came back.''

Asami clenched her jaw. She and Tobirama had never been on the same page, and even now, she wasn't surprised that Tobirama didn't understand the reason behind her actions. ''How could I come back after what I did?'' She breathed, looking at the ground. Shame and guilt kept her away from Konoha, but there was another reason.

Kouta.

She protected all she had left; her son. Asami wasn't so cruel to bring back her son to a village where he'd be insulted and discriminated. Madara was Konoha's enemy, and Asami assumed that his child wouldn't be welcome there. She sighed. ''I thought about it, but stayed away because I thought that was the best thing to do.''

 Hashirama pursed his lips as he thought of the sorrow his wife and he himself were going through after Asami mysteriously disappeared. They kept wondering where she was and what exactly happened to her, even years after the incident. Their questions were never answered, until now.

''Where have you lived all that time?'' Hashirama asked. ''Did you go to a non-ninja village?''

Asami shook her head. ''No,'' She answered. ''I lived in an old house in the middle of the woods for a while. I think Madara said it once belonged to his clan.''

Hashirama's eyes widened slightly in disbelief. ''You lived there all on your own?''

Asami shook her head again, a small smile playing on her lips as she remembered the peaceful days she spent there with Kouta. ''No, Keiji visited sometimes.'' She spoke. ''I never felt alone.''

Asami couldn't help but lie. There were plenty of times when she felt lonely. She missed the people from Konoha, the laughter of her friends when somebody cracked a joke, she missed a shoulder to lean on, a person to talk to. She missed her Hashirama, she missed Mito, but she missed Madara the most of them all. If not for Kouta, Asami would have gone insane due to loneliness.

This was also not the right time to tell them about Kouta. They were in the middle of a war. It was best to save conversations like these for after the fighting.

And it was going to be a fight she wasn't going to like.