Chapter 15 | Escape

Asami didn't know what time it was, but it felt like hours had passed since she and Madara parted ways. He needed to return to the battlefield, so Asami let him go, telling him she'd go there at her own pace. The truth was that the Uzumaki was simply afraid.

Seeing blood and lifeless bodies wasn't what would frighten her the most, but the possible fact that the sight of those gruesome things might change her mind. Asami had given up on persuading Madara. It was useless. But seeing the results of the Uchiha's actions could make her have a different opinion.

Asami was postponing paying a visit to the battlefield for that reason. She knew she had to go there eventually, to see just what Madara had done. To see how many people's lives were affected by the decisions of a man she was involved with. To find out what he was responsible for - what they were responsible for. While Asami actually didn't want to pick a side in this war, she couldn't help it. Even though Asami and Madara didn't share similar point of views, the Uzumaki still wished to be with Madara in this material world for as long as possible. Others would undoubtedly see this as abandonment of moral. She broke her own promise, but what were moral and promises in times of war?

Nothing but standards which were impossible to live by and empty words.

Asami didn't regret her choices, and while she did feel guilt, she felt no shame. Not anymore.

Before Madara left, he had quickly explained what it meant to be a reincarnation and how to end the technique. Apparently, there were three ways.

1. Remove the soul from the reincarnated body.

2. Have the reincarnated soul be affected in some emotional way that gives them closure, allowing their soul to break free of the Impure World Reincarnation's influence.

3. Have the summoner end the technique.

While Asami wasn't planning to leave this body yet, she was already preparing herself for when the time would be right to go back to the Pure Land, the place where her and Kouta's souls had been residing until now.

The Uzumaki was familiar with the Dead Demon Consuming Seal, a sealing technique developed by her own clan. While this jutsu was a guaranteed way to end this technique, Asami swore to herself not to use it unless she had no other choice. After all, after using it, she'd be unable to enter the Pure Land. This meant that she wouldn't be able to be with Kouta nor Madara.

The second option was to have the reincarnated be affected in an emotional way. Asami was already emotional. She had to seal her own son away to keep his eyes closed. He was a boy and didn't belong on a battlefield. He wasn't supposed to see the horrors of it. Then she met Madara again. She had felt a lot; pain, sadness, relief, happiness, but closure wasn't one of them. Asami didn't think she was going to find closure anytime soon.  

Have the summoner end the jutsu would be the most ideal solution. Asami didn't know the summoner, but that didn't matter. Madara, though, seemed wary of him. He didn't trust his so-called 'companion', and he was prepared for any possible problems, like having the jutsu end abruptly. He knew which hand seals were needed to rescind the contract the summoner had over him. Since Asami said that she'd be there until the very end, Madara used his Sharingan on her, hypnotizing her. If the summoner were to end the technique, her hands would perform the hand seals needed to stay here a little longer. Asami didn't know the hand seals needed to end the technique, but surely Madara knew.

But Asami wondered, was the summoner even intending to end the technique at some point?

Clenching her jaw, Asami went over her options once more. She didn't have much choice, which frustrated her. She didn't want to be stuck in this body, this world, but she also didn't want to go to a different afterworld than her loved ones. For eternity, separated from the people she cherished the most... Just the thought of it made the Uzumaki feel sick.

Asami sighed and kept on walking. There seemed no end to the ruined landscape that surrounded her.

It made her wonder, would she ever be able to escape it?

And rhw mess she had been dragged into?