Chapter 9 | Gone

Asami bit her lip as she stared at the pattern on the ground, unable to tear her gaze away from the sealing formula which appeared just before it sealed Kouta within it.

Physical pain was impossible to perceive as a reincarnation, but the emotional pain was tearing her down from the inside. Guilt was eating her alive, for she had the feeling as if she just ended the second life of her own.

It was better this way, Asami knew that. Kouta would only suffer more if he were to stay here longer, but that didn't stop her from griefing and hurting once again.

Asami raised her trembling hands, covering her face to hide her mournful expression in this moment of weakness. She stayed strong for Kouta, wanting to let him go without him having the hunch that something was wrong. But now, she let the tears which were already threatening to fall for a few minutes roll down her cheeks.

It was already so painful, so why did they have to go through this? Was it a punishment? To be revived only to have to see her own son leave again, even make him leave with her own two hands? Was it because she tried to attain undeserved happiness committing sins like betraying her own village?

Shikamaru clenched his jaw as he glanced at the Uzumaki. Maybe it was a bad idea to bring Asami along after all. She had been holding them up while they needed to reinforce the division on the battlefield real quick. They couldn't afford to be slowed down anymore. Shikamaru sighed. ''Asa-'' ''Someone is coming!"

Shikamaru's eyes widened as he turned to the sensor type ninja from another village who just claimed that a person was approaching. ''From where?'' He asked hastily, already looking around in case this person was already nearby.

This sudden announcement also grabbed Asami's attention, as she let her hands drop next to her body and looked at the seal again. The Uzumaki clenched her fists, saying her last goodbyes now she still had the chance. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she spoke her last words to Kouta. ''I'll join you soon, my darling.'' She whispered softly, closing her eyes tightly. 

''There!'' The man shouted, pointing into the direction they've been running for a while.

''Eh?'' Shikamaru frowned. ''That's where the battlefield is...''

The sensor type swallowed thickly, fear etched onto his face. ''T-This amount of chakra..'' He stammered. ''It's insane.''

'' C-Could it be Madara?'' A woman stuttered, gripping the handle of her katana tightly, but it seemed like she needed more mental preparation instead of physical.

Asami tensed up upon hearing the Uchiha's name, forgetting to breathe for a few seconds. She blinked, bringing her hands to her stomach when a churning feeling wouldn't stop bothering her. It was exciting, but the presence of fear was also undeniable.

''I don't think Madara would leave the battlefield for us.'' Another person argued, but uneasiness was clearly audible in his wavering voice.

Shikamaru froze momentarily due to a sudden realization and turned back around, his dark eyes meeting Asami's green ones. ''If it's really Madara,'' He whispered, his voice only hearable to the few people standing around him. ''We wouldn't be the ones he'd come for..''

Asami pressed her arms and hands tighter against her stomach, her slightly red eyes narrowing at the Nara. She had been too careless with her words. She already knew that, but the intelligent Shikamaru found out earlier than she had expected. 

What she also wasn't expecting was Madara's early visit. She thought she needed to get closer to draw him out, but it seemed that wasn't necessary. This is exactly why she was planning to part ways here with these people, forcefully if needed; simply so these people wouldn't be here when she'd be reunited with the Uchiha.

Asami wasn't exactly on their side, but she still didn't want them to get killed, especially if it was because of her, someone who is supposed to be dead herself. She wasn't on Madara's side either though, no matter what his objective may be. From what she'd heard, Madara's intentions were wrong, but this still wasn't her fight, so Asami decided not to pick a side, but stay on the sidelines.

She had her own issues to solve, her own war to fight.

One for the truth, the reason for her revival.

And Madara could help her with this.

''He's approaching with incredible speed!" The sensor type yelled. ''He's almost here!''

Asami breathed shakily, looking into the direction he was supposed to be coming from. Even she was able to sense his chakra now, and her lips couldn't help but curl up slightly as she enjoyed the familiarness of it. Surprisingly, it made her feel at ease.

She wanted to see him.

''Almost already?'' Someone murmured anxiously, and the restlessness under the people started to grow.

And once again, another one of her wishes was fulfilled.

Only one second later, dirt rose into the air due to a forceful blow. Shikamaru partly covered his eyes with his hands, still trying to see what exactly happened, but he could only see sand and shadows.

Someone used a jutsu to blow the sandy air away, and when Shikamaru's sight became clear, he looked around.

No one was hurt.

No one was dead.

But one person was missing.

Asami was gone.