Chapter 14 | Recall

Thanks everyone for commenting! I may not always reply but I do always read them :)  I purposely made this chapter shorter, but the next one will be longer.

_______________________________________

It was almost as if fate was playing with her, emphasizing the fact that whatever she wanted was out of her reach.

Asami was already confronted by this truth the moment she got word of Madara's death. And later on, she was punished for holding hope by her own death.

Fingertips touched her lips. She wished they belonged to Madara, but he had already left. It were her own fingers, brushing against her lips as the memory of their kiss kept replaying itself in her mind. 

Staring into the distance, Asami's glossy eyes still looked for him, while he had already disappeared from her sight a few minutes ago.

She let him go, knowing about the plan that the Uchiha had in mind. While she fiercely disagreed with him at first, indifference had overridden her anger and disappointment. Her words weren't going to change his mind, so trying to convince him was futile, but she also didn't feel responsible for the deaths which already have occurred and those which were going to occur anymore. It was her connection to Madara that made her feel this guilt, but after meeting him, she once again decided to choose for herself and her own beliefs, which was to be with the Uchiha until the end of the war, as long as possible until she was going to leave this world again.

It was unforgivably selfish, but Asami just didn't care anymore. There was nothing she could do anyway. She didn't have the power to influence the outcome of this war, so the only thing she could do was watch from the sidelines. To see Madara, to be in his presence once more.

After that, she'd return to her resting place with Kouta, and she'd be satisfied.

Although, somewhere deep in her heart, the Uzumaki wanted to stay. She could be with Madara, with Kouta, but living like this, in the world Madara told her about and also in this distasteful body was unappealing to her. Instead of being truly alive, they'd be enslaved to these numb frames, living alone is such a big world.

It would be lonely, maybe even frighteningly so.

Asami pressed her lips together, trying to imagine how it felt to feel Madara's lips against hers in that painfully short moment of affection. 

But her memory didn't recall feeling anything.