Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

               I walked home again, this time I didn’t run. I walked, slow and casual. But once the sun started setting and the orange and pink shades in the sky darkened I felt my footsteps quicken. Most of the time people left me alone and I kept to myself, but this night was different it felt like something was added to the air. The freakiest thing was that everyone was out; I guess if no one would’ve been out I would’ve been shocked too. I crossed onto a busy street hoping the whizzing cars would keep the monsters at bay. The irony was I was walking home, to a monster rather than away from them.

               No I didn’t really think my dad was a monster, I think he drank too much and that resulted in him turning into a monster. Totally different to me, still it didn’t give him the reason to hit me. I didn’t like making excuses for him but that’s what you do when it’s your father, or a parent.

               “You want some chicken?” a gravelly voice asked me from the sidewalk next to me, he lay dramatically next to a barbecue I shook my head no and walked faster. I heard him cackle a laugh, I blushed I hadn’t wanted him to laugh I just didn’t want chicken. Even though my stomach growled telling me the schools lunch hadn’t been enough for the day. Clutching my stomach I stopped to take a deep breath.

               I finally arrived home around nine o’clock; I didn’t know what to expect from my dad. But when I came in I felt shivers run all down my body. It was colder inside then it was outside, great Dad didn’t pay the electric bill! I closed the door as gently and quietly as I could manage, I heard it click I twisted the dead bolt which made a loud “click.” My dad stirred in his chair and burped, at least he was asleep. I tiptoed to my room, just as my fingers grasped the brass door knob, my hair was jerked backwards. A cry escaped my lips and I fell backwards, missing my attacked by a few inches.

               “Why are you home so late? I didn’t see you by the corner and you didn’t bring home any money!” My dad bellowed and I felt his foot come in contact with my rib cage, another cry rang out from my lips.

               “DAD!” I yelled throatily, something was brought down on my chest, my whole abdomen felt like I had been run over.

               “What? You have something to tell me, just tell me NOW!” He barked at me, and then pulled me up by my hair and slammed me into the wall, my head ricocheted off. My ears were ringing, if I didn’t know any better I would have thought a bomb went off in the tiny apartment.

               “DAD STOP!” I whimpered before getting thrown on the kitchen floor, my head bursting, a popping noise omitted from my body and I was sure something was broken. I didn’t know what because my whole body was numb, numb from any pain my father was making.

               “Daughter you must fight, fight for your life!” A sweet loving voice filled my head, not my ears, I heard her from inner subconscious. I blinked and I swear I was crying blood, or maybe I’m just hallucinating. Just as I was about to twist upward and try to get up, another blow hit me and I was knocked out, leaking on my apartment floor.

               The smell of ammonia, cleaner and chemicals ran up my nose and caused me to open my crusty eyes. I had to blink a couple times for my vision to return, neatly tucked in I was in a medium sized room. White was everywhere; walls, linoleum, chairs, pillows, blinds, etc. Everything was white, and clean, too clean. I felt like I was choking on chemicals when I started breathing heavy.