Chapter Twenty Nine

Arcos and I walked back after we finished our milkshakes. We didn't talk about Vampyr's or Neferet, which was probably best since we had different views on it. I was trying not to bring it up, and every time I said something it almost slipped out. I just didn't want him to get hurt, and I knew Neferet was capable of it.

"Amethyst! Are you okay? Ame! Hello?" Zoey's thoughts started bouncing around in my head when we walked back onto the HON campus. It almost hurt the loudness of her words in my head. I clutched the sides of my head, wishing I could make it stop.

"Are you okay?" Arcos touched my side, trying to comfort me.

"Um, yeah, I just guess got a headache or something." I couldn't exactly tell him that it was Zoey's thoughts that were hurting my head. I couldn't tell anyone other than the group.

"Do you want me to walk you to your dorm?" I liked how caring he sounded. I checked my watch, if I left now I could make it to the last half of third period. I should go even though I turned in the homework for this week already. I sighed, wishing I didn't have to actually go to any classes.

"No, I should go to class." We both made a face.

"Then I'll walk you there." It was good to see him happy. "If you want me to, that is?" The wind was starting to pick up and the night was starting to lift. And after everything Arcos told me about the new, stronger Vampyrs, HON suddenly didn't seem so safe.

"I would like that very much." This made him smile. He extended his hand to me, and I took it as I hitched up my backpack.

~~

Class was boring compared to my talk with Arcos, but I really needed to show up to class more.

Arcos.

I was still reeling, wondering about the New Vampyr's, and what they were doing right now. Did they feed? Had Arcos had to give them blood? He had said there was only six, but how long would that last? When would Neferet want to make more, and would Arcos help her? He had seemed so afraid, and I knew that he really did want to stop. But how do you stop when the priciple of the school, where you live, tells you to do it?

It seemed like Arcos was really in a pickle. I wanted to help him out and I knew I would, but it was getting progressively more and more difficult. If he couldn't see past Neferet's evil and vindictive ways how would anyone else? I was hoping it was just because Arcos was close to her and didn't want to see the bad in her.

"Ame! Are you going to let me know you're okay?" Oh, crap. I had completely forgotten about my 9-1-1 message to Zoey. I needed to explain to her about everything, but that would be really hard to do, even with our brain-text messages it was hard to send it to her.

"Sorry, Z. Yes I am okay. We definitely need to talk ASAP. Arcos told me something very interesting. He needs our help. Neferet." I wanted to tell her more. The bell rang, and I made my way to my next class, dragging my heels as I went. I keep telling myself it was important to go, but with everything going on it didn't feel so important.