Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

               One week. One week until something would happen, or says Neferet. She’s convinced that in one week on the full moon that something will happen to me. I can’t say I fully believe her or not, but deep inside I know I hope I’ll be marked on the next full moon.

               The past week Neferet has taught me a lot about Vampyres, there sleeping habits, the whole blood drinking things, powers that Vampyres acquire depending on what Nyx has in store for you. How Neferet has affinity for cats and this really cool power of healing, it’s how she healed me from my bruises and cuts so fast. I thought it was just something in the wrap she had put on me.

               I had told Neferet about the rumors that I was her and that she wasn’t exactly real, so she made the extra effort to show her face a little more. We had assemblies and recognition to the students, there were teacher things too. Also one of the first things Neferet had done was put banners up for a school dance, she called it a “Vampyre Ball” which was corny but that had been Neferet’s plan. She sent out slips for parents to chaperone if they wanted to. Neferet was really trying lately and she was even started to teach me on junior stuff like she said.

               But it was nearing the full moon and each day I woke up and wondered would happen in less than a week. Five days. After this day it’ll be four, how can that be that the days just flew by like they were nothing? Like the next full moon was no big deal? I tried to press it to the back of my mind but every day I woke up thinking about it, I even dreamt about it, a caring women with silver blonde hair and calm eyes, wise eyes, would press her lips to my forehead murmuring things about me being her child. I would always wake up with thick sweat all over my body.

               So as I rolled out of bed from yet ANOTHER nightmare, or dream thing, and got up to face the day. I admit though the days have been better, people at school are starting to be more civil towards me and even though they don’t wave hi to me in the halls (which is still okay) I don’t get pushed into or purposely talked down to. In fact sometimes people meet my eyes and they don’t look away in disgust, some smile, some don’t do anything but it’s a lot better than how it was. And it’s all because of Neferet, because she’s an awesome person, Vampyre or not she’s a miracle worker.

               “You need a ride today?” I was getting ready to knock when Tasha pulled the door open a sour expression on her face; I frowned not knowing why she was in a bad mood.

               “Yes please.”

               “Don’t do that “yes please” crap!” I hadn’t ever gotten in a fight with Tasha, sure sometimes I got embarrassed around her and sometimes she didn’t like how I talked; “too white” she called it.

               “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said as nicely as I could.

               “You do! Ever since that dang Vamp came you been different, you use bigger words when you around me and you- “Tasha you only hear me talk when I’m around you.”

               “See, you neva used to cut me off like that!” she slung her bag over her shoulder and started walking towards the parking lot.

               “Tasha I’m sorry but I don’t know why you’re blaming Nef, everything she’s –“Nef? That’s just great you gots yourself a nice little pet name! Funny how you gots a pet name for the woman who thinks of you as a pet!” She sauntered off but this time I didn’t follow her, I wasn’t anyone’s pet, and especially not Neferet’s, who had helped me more than anyone else could.