Chapter Six

Chapter Six

               I woke up on my bed, the covers tucked in around my body. Talk about multipersonallity disorder, yeah that was my dad. Crazy by default. I rubbed my forehead and found a giant gash; crusted dried blood fell into my hand. I recoiled from my disgust; this was the last beating I would take. I got up and sorted through my room, everything was disorganized; it looked like a bull had come in here and bulldozed everything.

               I picked up a t-shirt off the ground and some thigh length jean shorts. I headed to the bathroom to take a shower, I didn’t see my dad from the hallway but I didn’t really look. My plan was to leave as early as I could, Tasha could fix my face but it that was beside the point. I’d had enough!

               “Girl I don’t know what you done did, but tis got stop!” Tasha said completely serious, she held the door open to her apartment for me. I walked in clutching the only “ice pack” we had, a pack of freezer burned beans.

               “I aint doing anything Tasha, peoples doing this to me,” I whinnied at her; she sighed and took my “ice pack” and led me to her room. Her husband was in the living room with the TV on; her mom was knitting in her rocking chair next to the kitchen table.

               “Hello Maribel, how are you?” I asked her, she was as black as onyx and she had deep chocolate brown eyes. She was as old as dirt and as smart as anybody I knew. She was the one that had taught me most of what I knew.

               “Fine and dandy Miss Rice, you sure got into a scuffle young lady.” Her eyes looked at me warningly, the perfect moment to tell them what really happened to me. But they had known me long enough to make their own assumptions.

               “I know ma’am I try to stay away from the fire but it clings to me.” I couldn’t right out say what had actually happened because I couldn’t say it even to myself.

               “You know you can come over here anytime you want Miss Rice.” Maribel told me still staring intensely at me; I gulped and nodded not trusting my words.

               “All right mamma ya stop harassing Ame, Ame we betta go before ya late again!” She grabbed her bag and I threw my back pack on my back, then we left.

               “Bye Maribel!” I called at the front door; she waved to me and sit out a sun flower seed.

               “Come on we gots to hurry!” Tasha yelled from the driver’s seat, I hopped in and she bolted out of the apartment parking spot like a bullet.

               “You gonna tell me what really happened to your face?” Since I hadn’t exactly told her a lie or what had actually happened I just shrugged. “Come on girl I known you since for forever!” She said white knuckled gripping the steering wheel. I felt bad for not saying anything all the while I’d known Tasha and Maribel but… it was hard to say.

               “What do you think it is?” She didn’t say anything. “Exactly.” I said crossing my arms over my chest; I stared out the window wishing I was anywhere but here.

               “He hits you.” She stated I didn’t move my body was paralyzed. I found out my whole body hurt like I’d been thrown down a flight of stairs, I might have thought that that had happened except there were no stairs where we lived. But thrown into a tub and then hauled into my room probably was the reason I hurt so bad.