Chapter XII

After the tennis matches were over, everyone decided to head out to eat at Taka's sushi place. But before I even stepped in the door, Fuji pulled me aside. 

"Ryoko, are you willing to tell the truth now?" I sighed, Fuji was smart, and I knew he would ask. 

"Look Fuji, it happened years ago-doesn't mean any-"

"Ryoko."

"After a month of me and Keigo becoming friends, we ended up dating for the rest of the year. Before I left, with a pinky promise and kiss, we said that when we met again, we'd continue where we had left off."

"You said you only stayed for a month. So how much more are you lying about?"

"An incident occurred that made me stop playing tennis and sent me to the hospital. When I woke up, Keigo had been there holding tightly to my hand. My father told me he had stayed the whole night without food or sleep. Thought eventually before I woke up he had passed out."

"Is that all?"

"...I woke him up after a couple hours, he was so happy and that's when he told me he loved me...."

"What?"

"I told him I didn't feel the same way. That I had already fallen in love with somebody else. It crushed him, but he said no matter who or what gets in the way, he would love me and make me fall for him again." I sighed. Listening to myself, I realized how much pain I had actually caused a lot of people. But then I had the most unexpected surprise from Fuji. He hugged me. 

"I understand. But you have to tell Tezuka about this. I was able to get over you. Sure I still tease you to annoy Tezuka, but I can tell he's not worried about me like he is about Atobe." I sighed knowing Fuji was right. Tezuka may not have said it, but he sure didn't want me around Atobe. 

"Can you tell everyone I wasn't hungry? I'm gonna go think."

"Just be safe and tell Tezuka about this later." 

"Okay." I hugged Fuji goodbye before sighing again. I walked as fast as I could before anyone of the regulars could have spotted me. Reaching a nearby park, i sat down. 'what am i doing to myself?'...