Chapter IV

Ryoko's Pov

It had been a few days since Ryoma's match with Kaidoh. And yesterday he had gone up against Inui, which he ended up beating.

"Chibisuke, are you happy being a regular?" I asked as we walked towards school.

"Yeah. Are you happy just watching us practice every morning?" Ryoma asked, giving me a serious look.

"Truthfully, I would love to start playing again. But I can't..."

"Ryo-neechan..." Ryoma said giving me a pitiful look. "It's been two years, you can-"

"No Ryoma." I gave him a look, saying this discussion was over. We made our way to the courts to see Inui standing by himself. "Ohayoo Inui-kun!" I cheerfully smiled at him, as Ryoma just nodded to him.

"Hello Ryoko, Ryoma." Inui said opening his little book. "Can I talk to you Ryoko?"

"Sure." I said walking over to a bench with him, as Ryoma got ready for practice. "So what's up?"

"Why did you lie about playing tennis?"

"I didn't lie-"

"I saw the article about you in the US Open."

"Oh. Look Inui, I wasn't trying to hide it on purpose. The truth is. I wasn't even able to compete during the US Open. The day before I was to have my match, I had my rackets and shoes destroyed. I didn't think much of it, so the next day I brought new equipment with me and was warming up for my match when I was knocked unconscious. I woke up hours in the hospital. I don't know what happened, but someone really wanted me to quit tennis. I was delivered a note saying if I didn't quit, my family as well as myself would be hurt. I can't have anything happen to them. So if not playing tennis means keeping my family safe, then I don't mind."

"Did you call the cops?"

"Yes, but they couldn't do anything. So after a year, I hadn't heard anything from them. I figured it was okay to play tennis again, but when I went to try out for my schools tennis team, my belongings were trashed and my shoes had been filled with nails. Another year passed and I was still paranoid to play tennis. So that's why we moved back to japan."

"Ryoko, whoever did this to you is bound to still be back in America, why don't you try playing tennis again?"

"Are you sure?" Inui nodded at me and I couldn't help but hug him. "Thank you Inui-kun."

"Echizen?" I turned to see Tezuka watching me and Inui intently. "What are you doing?"

"Oh nothing." I smiled releasing Inui.

"Tezuka, Ryoko said she'd be trying out for the team." Inui smiled at me. "She'll be joining our practice today."

"Okay." Tezuka said as I walked over to him. "I guess I should get out there huh?" I smiled, seeing relief in tezuka's face. "Yeah."