Culinaria L'amore Chapter Thirty-One

Out of the next two weeks of me dodging Garrett, hearing Amelia go on about her relationship with Ricky, and listening to Alonzo and Angela make out in the corner of the kitchen whenever we were practicing for the international Culinary Arts Festival, the only ray of sunshine that I could find would have to be hanging out with Harrison. Ever since I spilled everything about my life, he just seemed to have accepted being my friend and continuously tried to cheer me up with random 'dates' and such.

Which was why I was standing on a tennis court nervously watching as Harrison tossed a yellow tennis ball into the air and whacking it straight towards me, the ball looking as if it was traveling at five hundred miles per second.

"Gah! I can't do this." I muttered, laughing as the ball whizzed by me.

Harrison joined my laughing, hopping over the net with ease and running over to where I stood.

"I see you're a lost case. Don't worry. I won't be so much better in the kitchen. Do you want to go another round of me serving and you standing? Or are you ready to call it a day?"

I looked down at my watch, grimacing at the numbers. Tonight, being Thanksgiving, my mother had been invited for a huge Thanksgiving dinner and what seemed like two hundred other people. Although it was only the four and the party started at six, the invitation that I been handed, yes handed, stated that it would be a black tie event, meaning no tennis skirts or sweat allowed.

"I would love to stand around and increase my probability of being hit by a yellow comet, but I really got to head out. Big, important Thanksgiving dinner tonight."

Harrison's smile faded a bit as he watched me walk off the court, a brief sadness falling across his features, but before I could analyze it, he broke out into another grin.

"I wish you all the luck then."

Throwing Harrison a fleeting smile, I zipped up my coat and handed him the racket I had been using, hesitating before giving him a big hug.

"I hope you have fun with your family?"

"Yeah." Was it just me or was his voice tight and a little cold?

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking up at him as he wiped his forehead with a towel.

"Hm? Nothing. Do you need a ride home?"

Taking note that he was completely avoiding the topic, I only nodded and grabbed my bag, waiting for Harrison to finish packing up. His family must be a sensitive subject for him.

Once we were settled in the car, Harrison turned on the radio, shooting me a small smile before starting the engine and driving out of the parking lot. We were both silent, him focusing on his driving and me listening to some song about turkey and stuffing.

"So what are you doing tonight?" I asked casually, looking outside as a couple of snowflakes fell from the sky and twirled down to the ground.

His grip on the steering wheel seemed to tighten as his knuckles turned white. "Probably just chilling at home, watch a movie or two. Nothing compared to a black tie dinner."

I chuckled dryly as we turned onto the highway, visibility decreasing as the snow flew in flurries, hitting the car and melting. Harrison cursed under his breath as he turned on the windshield wipers and that was when I noticed his hands were shaking slightly. The topic of my dinner tonight disappeared as I looked at him, worried.

"Harrison? Your hands are shaking. Are you okay?"

Harrison didn't look away from the road, his shoulders stiff as he slowed down the car. "Fine, fine."