XX: This Is Our Ouran Fair!

February 12

"Welcome." Kaiyoka watched as Kyouya and the rest of the hosts putted around the room, doing their usual song and dance with extra charm thrown in. She'd put herself at the back of the room; seated at a small tea-table, she deemed herself out of the way and in the perfect place to observe. And observe she did- Kaiyoka had watched the twins and Tamaki charm about seventeen innocent mothers into believing that the host club was the best thing to have ever graced the school. She also couldn't help but notice that Miyuki was nowhere to be seen, and it put a smile on her face.

"People-watching, as usual?" A voice behind Kaiyoka made her jump, and she turned to see Haruhi standing behind her. "You never do change, Kaiyo." Kaiyoka shut her book, smiling as she looked over at Haruhi.

"Oh? And what else do you suppose I do?" She asked.

"Host," Haruhi answered. Kaiyoka was surprised at her immediate answer.

"Host? As in what you all do every day? I couldn't; I'm better off behind the pages of my notebook, where my thoughts are uninterrupted." She responded, eliciting a nod from Haruhi.

"Fair enough. Well, why don't you walk around with me for a while? I have to push the cart of hors d'oeuvres around, but you can come with me if you want to. You can get the chance to observe up close!" Haruhi was just joking, and Kaiyoka knew it, but she shut her book and got up anyway.

"Sounds like fun," She replied, smoothing out a wrinkle in her skirt. "Let's go."

The pair spent time milling around, talking to our own fair share of mothers ourselves. Haruhi was just as good at charming them as the boys were, and by the time we walked away to get some space, Haruhi had a group of mothers who were all fans of hers and 'wanted to adopt' her. They were ready to be away from the crowds, but a sharp sound drew both of their attention. Kaiyoka watched with wide eyes from across the room as Kyouya's father brought his hand down on his son's cheek, leaving an angry red outline and a crowd of shocked individuals. A fire roared in Kaiyoka's lungs.

*

I stood in disbelief, the sound of the slap still resonating in my ears. I broke away from Haruhi, who was also standing in shock, walking briskly over to Kyouya and retrieving his glasses for him. I stood up after helping him up and handed him the frames, barely hearing him thank me before I steamrolled through the crowd to Kyouya's father. I took a breath before speaking, trying to control my anger and keep it to an acceptable level.

"I don't think you give Kyouya enough credit." Kyouya's father barely turned around, raising an eyebrow when he saw me. He gave me a look that was enough to scare off the other people trying to approach him, but I stood my ground. Something in me snapped.

"Kyouya is a wonderful, hardworking individual. He's the only high-schooler that I've ever met who I'd consider a workaholic. And it's all for your benefit, Ootori-san; to ensure that both your family business and the host club run as smoothly as they do. So, pardon my intrusion, but I do believe that Kyouya deserves miles more respect from you." I could feel herself getting angrier as I truly realized what an unfit father Kyouya had. It wasn't right.

"Kyouya bends over backward for everyone in his life, and yet you, his own father, do not appreciate him or what he does. Not once have I seen you act like you should toward Kyouya. He deserves a father, Ootori-san. And coming from someone who no longer has one, I can tell you that he currently deserves far better than you." By now, I was aware of how out-of-turn I was speaking toward Kyouya's (excuse for a) father, but I didn't care. Anyone could get mad at me for telling him off all they wanted, but until something changed for the better, that man didn't deserve respect or decency from anyone, and certainly not from me.