V: Beware the Physical Exam!

September 12

"Oh, that's today?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as I shut my book. Sachi nodded, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah. It'll take the whole day. In the past, it just used to be checkups, but now we actually have to put in... Effort." Sachi shuddered for dramatic effect, and I just laughed at her theatrical performance.

"It's not that big a deal, Sachi. At least you don't have to be in class," I said. She gasped.

"True enough, but at the expense of what, Kaiyo? I just got my nails done!" I rolled my eyes, remembering that Sachi was a rich kid at the end of the day. As down-to-earth as she was, she wasn't quite used to having to do those things. Back in middle school, we had to do these all the time.

"Not to mention, you're fit as can be," Sachi pointed out. "You obviously have nothing to worry about." I conceded, seeing the truth in her point. I was just about to reply before the PA system came on and a perky woman's voice came from the ceiling.

"Good morning Ouran students! Would all students please go down to the gymnasium? Thank you!" And as soon as she'd spoken, she was gone. Sachi and I exchanged a look, and then got up and headed for the stairs.

*

"Kaiyo!" I tensed up at the sound of hearing someone scream my name, but automatically relaxed and reflexively sighed as I realized it was Tamaki. Somewhere in the masses I'd lost my best friend, but the host club managed (as was becoming standard) to find me. Tamaki plowed politely through the crowds of adoring girls to get to me, pulling the entire host club with him. Kyouya walked behind, acknowledging me with a nod before aiming his gaze elsewhere.

"How are you doing, Princess?" He asked, clobbering me with a hug.

"Let's not make this whole 'princess' nickname a thing, yeah?" I requested. Tamaki gasped dramatically, reminding me immediately of Sachi.

"But it's so cute on you!" He said. I just let it go. I knew it meant absolutely nothing, since he called just about every girl that. It made me smile in spite of it, though. The members of the host club were treating me like I was already part of the family.

"Okay, Senpai-" I was cut off by the doors swinging open. A line of doctors and nurses were all lined up, creating a path for the students to walk down. Many of the girls went first, filing in with their friends and talking excitedly about which boys they were dying to see. Hearing all of those vapid conversations made me think, though.

"Haruhi," I said, talking quietly to her. "What's your plan?" She shrugged, eyes wide.

"I don't know what to do. Kyouya said that he would do something, but..." She trailed off, seemingly unsure about whether he cared enough to actually do something.

"If Kyouya said he would help you, then he's going to. Come on." I spied over the tops of people's heads until I saw Kyouya a little further ahead. I grabbed Haruhi's hand and weaved through the crowd, pulling her behind me until we reached Kyouya.

"Senpai." At my voice, Kyouya turned around immediately.

"Miss Sahni."

"Did you tell Haruhi that you'd help her out?" I asked. He hesitated before nodding.

"There's already a doctor who's going to examine you in a separate room. She will be ready by the time everyone else is starting," He informed us. I heard Haruhi sigh with relief, and I smiled over at her.

"Problem solved," I told her, and she smiled back at me.

"Thanks, Kaiyo." She looked relieved.

"Anytime," I replied. Kyouya smoothly re-entered our conversation.