XVII: Shadow King

January 14

I woke up, my eyes quickly adjusting to the dark room. I heard soft snores and shuffling around me, and my mind imagined the worst before I remembered that the Host Club was sleeping over at Kyouya's house. I smiled at the memories of last night's fun, stretching and quietly standing up. I stepped over the tangle of limbs that was Hikaru and Kaoru, snapping a picture of Haruhi and Tamaki asleep side-by-side before walking out of the living room. As it was already 7:00, people were bustling around the main level, doing everything under the sun.

"Good morning, Sahni-san." An older woman greeted me with a smile. She rushed by with a kettle on hand, and being the curious person I was, I followed her into the largest, most pristine kitchen I'd ever seen.

"Can I help you make breakfast?" I blurted out before thinking. It had been awhile since I'd cooked with my own mother, and I honestly could go for a good batch of pancakes.

Naturally, she and I fought over my want and ability to cook breakfast, since she probably wasn't supposed to let me help, but she eventually let me aid her. We made the fluffy little cakes together, having light conversation in between pouring batter and turning the fire down. Once we had set aside a mountain of food and toppings, I excused myself and went to check on my friends.

I got back to the living room and was surprised to see everyone huddled in a corner of the room, looking afraid. Even Haruhi was shaking a little bit, and I ran over to them.

"What happened to you?" I asked, unsure if I even wanted to know.

"Haruhi... Tried to wake up Kyouya." Tamaki piped up. "Mori-senpai woke Honey-senpai up, thank God, but Kyouya is too scary to wake up. He'll probably be up around noon- maybe 11:30 if we're lucky." I sat here listening to them quake in fear over Kyouya.

Kyouya.

I simply sighed as I walked over to where he was asleep on the couch, still composed, aside from his glasses being askew on his nose. I put a hand on his arm, shaking it enough that his whole body began to rock back and forth.

"Senpai," I said, knowing he wasn't going to get up if I was being this gentle. "You have five seconds to get up before I make you get up. And you will not be pleased." I threatened. He peeped one eye open and he looked about ready to murder me. From halfway across the room I heard the twins ask Tamaki when my funeral service would be, and I just laughed.

"What? What are you going to do?" Kyouya asked, tiredness evident in his voice but trying to convey anger.

"This." As it had been more than five seconds, I reached over and took Kyouya's glasses from his face, tucking them neatly into my pocket. I then grabbed one end of his comforter and flung it aside, creating a blast of cold air to welcome Kyouya into the world. Despite trying to cover it up, I could see him shivering on the couch and blinking profusely.

"Get up, senpai," I said, no-nonsense evident in my voice. As I'd given him no other choice, he dragged himself off of the couch. As he stood in front of me, still blinking, I heard my friends' jaws hit the floor.

"She really did it. She really woke him up," I heard Tamaki whisper loudly. I rolled my eyes. If Shadow King was really his nickname because they were afraid of him when he woke up, they're all amateurs. Obviously, none of them have ever woken up a cranky two year old. Or worse, had to care for a teething baby.

"Go change, please." I directed Kyouya. "You're behind everyone else. I made breakfast in the time you've been sleeping, so make it snappy." He scoffed from deep within his throat, and it made me wonder if he was trying to be intimidating.

"Just who do you think you are, Miss Sahni?" He asked, voice low and level.

"I'm Kaiyoka Sahni.... You'd think he'd know that much." I whispered under my breath. "Clearly, you've never met another human who isn't afraid of the morning version of you, Kyouya-senpai. Go change your clothes. You can retrieve your glasses from me when you return." I could see the surprise in his eyes, but he slowly complied, gathering his spare bag before sauntering to wherever. I turned back to my friends as I sat down where Kyouya previously was, enjoying the warmth of the spot and how it smelled like he did.

"What were you afraid of, again?" I asked as they all shuffled over to me.

"Kyouya must really like you if he let you wake him up," Honey-senpai commented. "He doesn't even let Tamaki do it, and they're best friends." I wanted to add 'yes, but Tamaki is also too dramatic this early in the morning, so that's not a wonder', but I kept that one to myself.

"It's not that at all. He just didn't have a choice. I didn't give him the option to stay asleep," I replied, earning an appreciative nod from the small blonde boy. Just as Tamaki was about to say something else, a quiet voice smoothly entered our conversation.

"Breakfast is served."

*

As we all seated ourselves at the Ootori's massive dining table, chatting animatedly, Kyouya walked into the room and took his place in the chair next to mine, which had been so conveniently left unoccupied by Haruhi. She smiled at me teasingly as he sat down, and I slid my gaze over to Tamaki, who was seated next to her, and gave her a 'you're one to talk' look. Smiling at her blush, I turned to my left to greet the man who'd put up the fight of the year just to get out of bed.

"Good morning, senpai." I spoke cordially. He looked over at me, raising an eyebrow.

"Good morning. I'm going to assume that I'm speaking to Kaioyka, but I can't see to tell who is whom," He said, giving me a pointed look. I scoffed, producing his glasses from my pocket and handing them to him.

"Drama king." I commented, grabbing two pancakes as they were served around the table. Kyouya put on his glasses and adjusted them, also taking two pancakes from the stack.

"Kaiyoka, did you say you made these?" Kaoru asked me from across the table. I nodded, a mouth full of pancake stopping me from speaking. "These are amazing," He said, taking another bite.

"I helped. It wasn't all me, but thank you." I said, once I'd finished my bite. "It's good to know I still have my touch." We all dug into our breakfasts, laughing and starting up a conversation once the edge was off our hunger.

"Oh, by the way, do you have a dress for the dance yet, Kaiyoka?" Kaoru asked me. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What dance?" I asked. He didn't seem to hear me as he continued.

"If you do, take it back. Our mother just came out with a line of dresses, and she wanted us to find someone to wear one, so I told her you would." My eyes widened as I tried to process his words.

"Hold on a second. Start over," I said. "What dance?" Tamaki jumped in to explain.

"We started hosting a ball last year, deciding that having one every year would be a lot of fun for us, a good event for the girls, and a way to satisfy Kyouya because he's thinking about profit seventy percent of the time." I nodded. It made sense.

"So your mother wants me to wear one of her dresses?" I asked, turning back to the twins incredulously. "You have to be joking. Why me?" Hikaru shrugged.

"She needed a model, and she asked us to find one. You're the first person we thought of. We would've asked Haruhi, too, but she'll be hosting, so that won't work. That brings us back to you and only you." I raised an eyebrow, still skeptical.

"The dress will be at your house tomorrow, someone should drop it off then." Kaoru added. I was, once again, confused.

"Drop it off at my house? You probably don't even remember where I live," I pointed out, and Hikaru smirked.

"But Kyouya-senpai does." I turned to the boy in question, giving him a pointed look. He smiled, simply saying,

"As a member of the host club, it is part of your duty to attend our events. Mrs. Hitachiin will provide you with an outfit suitable for a fancy event." I shook my head, sighing.

"That's not what I was worried about. Hikaru and Kaoru, if I ever find you two at my house..." I trailed off, not feeling the need to finish my threat. They just laughed, smirking at each other mischievously. I sighed again, looking up at the ceiling. I love this strange bunch of people, but it's times like this that I wonder how I got here.