-| 29 / the balcony / part 1 |-

Caroline couldn't stand having the same terrifying nightmare every night; just the thought of Tristan dying was enough to make her cry but dreaming about it? It was more pain than she could take.

Every night she got closer to seeing the person that shot the fatal arrow, but she never saw their identity. She was used to know who the people she saw in her dreams were, so it felt weird not knowing the identity of the person that could potentially kill her brother.

The identity of the person that mattered the most.

Why do I keep having the same dream over and over again? It's not like I can stop this from happening, I already tried but Tristan left anyway, she kept thinking.

Normally, she'd ask Tristan for help but he wasn't an option, since he wasn't around and this whole thing was about him. That's why she went to the only person she'd been able to talk to ever since her brother left; Lux.

Lux knew things. She might have been a cold, mean and distant person, but she had been through a lot. Caroline wondered what led to her and Cheryl having such a damaged relationship and why they hated each other so much. There was clearly some tension there; Caroline could feel it without even having them both in the same room.

When Caroline found Lux, she noticed a scar she'd never noticed before; one that ran deep from her upper chest and, most probably, down her heart. She'd never seen it before, probably because Lux never wore anything as "revealing" as this and, even though she knew it would be inappropriate and indiscreet, Caroline felt the need to ask her where she got it.

“What?”, Lux was taken aback at first.

“That scar. Where did you get it?”

“Questions are annoying in general, but when they're on point, like yours, they're just despicable...”, the witch sighed. He bottom lip was trembling lightly and she seemed to be on the verge of tears, but the way she held herself hid it pretty well.

“You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I'm just worried. And curious.”, Caroline shrugged.

“Of course I don't have to tell you, but I've taken a liking into you... We have a lot in common.”, Lux said bitterly.

“Thanks?”

“That's not a good thing.”

“Why not?”

“What did I say about your questions?”

“That they're despicable.”

“Exactly.”, Lux said, a light chuckle escaping her.

“The scar.”, Caroline reminded her.

“Right.”, the woman frowned. “I had my soul bound to someone a long time ago. Do you know what a binding spell is?”

“Yeah.”, Caroline said immediately, but she brought her hand over her mouth when she realised what she'd said.

“How do you know about binding spells?”, Lux asked her suspiciously.

“I spend a lot of time in the library.”, the princess lied.

“Right...”, the witch said on disbelief. “Anyway, that person died a while ago. When the person you're bound to dies... well, this happens.”, she sighed again, tears welling up in her eyes again.

“Who were you bound to?”, Caroline asked again.

“Yeah, nice try. There's a reason I didn't tell you his name.”, Lux crossed her arms.

“Fine.”, Caroline grumbled.

“Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?”

“Your questions are just as despicable as mine.”, the princess rolled her eyes. “Yeah. I've been having a recurring nightmare and I'm afraid it might come true.”