-| 6 / painful confessions |-

The next day, Crystal found herself wondering whether she should give Alastor another chance, stay for her siblings or just run away.

She wasn't really sure where she would go, but she was seriously thinking of returning to her village, reuniting with Benny and going on that trip around the Kingdoms she had always dreamed of.

But then again, she had just come to the palace. She shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions or make rash decisions. Maybe she would come to get used to it.

Who am I kidding? Alastor showed his true colors from the very first day. Caroline kept shaking whenever he spoke. There's no getting used to this.

There was a knock on the door, interrupting her train of thought.

“Who is it?”, she called.

“Who else could it be this early in the morning? I mean, it could be your sister, but she's really busy these days. It couldn't be your brother because he sleeps until noon and I don't think your father would come visit you after last night. Based in what you told told me, anyway.”, someone babbled from outside. Only one person babbles this much.

“Come on in.”, Crystal sighed. Don't get me wrong she was glad it was Margaret, but she wasn't really glad she was in the palace. She would rather be outside, as you've probably realised by now.

“Thank you.”, Margaret smiled awkwardly as she walked in the room. “Is everything okay?”, she frowned.

“Can I ask you something?”, Crystal frowned.

“Of course you can!”, Margaret reassured her.

“Do you promise to not tell anyone? Not even Andy?”, Crystal furrowed her eyebrows.

Margaret bit her lip and frowned. “I promise. You can tell me anything.”

“I- I want to run away, but I'm not sure if I should... I can't take it living here. I grew up in a village. My father keeps making remarks about me being a peasant. Not that I mind, I would enjoy much more being a peasant rather than a princess. It's just... The way he says it, as if it's meant to be an insult. And I don't like the way he acts in general. Caroline is terrified of him. Tristan didn't even show up at dinner. I can't be the only one who doesn't like him and thinks that something is off!”, she said exasperated and flopped down on her bed.

Margaret bit her lip, once again. “Your father is a strange man. He keeps to himself most of the time and has been acting even weirder ever since queen Olivia died. You've probably noticed that he doesn't show any emotion.”, Margaret explained. Crystal nodded. “He wasn't always like that. Before Olivia died, he was overcome with anger and hate. He was mad at his brother. He still is. I don't know what could have happened to make them hate each other so bad, but I have my suspicions. Anyway, it's not my place to talk about it.”, Margaret shook her head.

“What do you mean you have your suspicions? What do you think happened?”, Crystal asked.

Margaret smiled faintly. “What causes most fights like this; a woman.”, she shrugged. “I have to go talk to my daughter now. She's been down lately and she won't tell me why... I'll go try and cheer her up.”, she frowned.

“Faith, right?”

Margaret nodded. “Yeah. She works at the kitchens.”

“I wish I could help you out... I'm not really the best on giving advice. I'm sorry...”, Crystal frowned.

“Oh, don't sweat it. It's alright! You're still too young to have experience in this... Teenagers can be tough to deal with if you're an adult and especially if you're their parent.”, she laughed.