-| 17 / rash decisions |-

Tristan stared at his sister in disbelief. “You have to be kidding me... There's no way Crystal is in the dungeons. Dad wouldn't do that. He's extreme, yeah, but not that extreme.”

“I don't have time for your trust issues.”, Caroline glared at him. “God... I've started to sound like you! What's with reversed roles here?”, she muttered. “Anyway, are you going to help me or not?”

“Not this time, Caroline. I'm sorry, but you don't even have anything to back your suspicion.”, he shrugged.

His sister gave it some thought. “Actually, I do have something. A carriage with a concealed wagon or something arrived yesterday. Some guy, not our normal deliverer, was riding it. Plus, we weren't expecting anyone. It was unregistered, I checked.”, she crossed her arms, smugly.

“Maybe dad is planning a surprise event?”, Tristan shrugged.

His sister scoffed. “It's as if you're trying your best to not believe it! Is it really so hard for you to come help me check it out? You know the dungeons creep me out.”, she shivered.

“I told you, I can't. I'm sorry.”, he looked away.

“One more thing; my godmother was on that carriage too and she's always been kind of shady. I'll let that sink in.”, she tried for a final time. Violet's eyes went wide and she reached for Tristan's hand. He turned and gave her a worried glance. Caroline narrowed her eyes at them. “What are you two hiding?”

“It's nothing. I just... I remembered I got a letter this morning. I have to leave for a while. It's urgent.”, Violet said in the least suspicious way she could (which knowing her was the most suspicious-looking thing ever).

“Violet, are you hiding something?”, Caroline narrowed her eyes at the young witch, who started sweating and avoided all eye-contact.

“I- I just have to go. I'll stay for the day but after that I'm probably going to leave.”, she bit her lip.

Caroline would have said more, but Tristan stopped her. “Well, then... We should make the most of your time here.”, he smiled but looked a little heartbroken.

“Tristan, I told you I need your help!”, Caroline protested.

“And I told you that I can't help you! Not this time...”

“Violet, can I have a moment with my brother, please?”

"Yes! I mean- of course! I- I'm sorry. I'll be in my room, if you need me.", Violet rushed away awkwardly.

Caroline waited for her to leave and then turned to her brother. “What are you so afraid of?”, she crossed her arms.

Tristan sighed. “Dad sent me down there once. He locked the door and left me alone to roam the corridors overnight. He let me out the next day at noon. You were away when he did that, I don't remember the details. I had a huge fight with him. He wasn't having it.”, Tristan looked away. “I swore to never step foot in there again.”

Caroline stared at him for a few moments, dumbfounded. “Why didn't you tell me sooner?”, her voice cracked.

“You had such a good time when you were away. I didn't want to ruin it for you...”, he muttered.

She smacked him upwards in the back of the head and then pulled him into a right hug. “You're so stupid. If you'd told me I wouldn't have pushed you.”

“I told you now. Just... if you go, promise me you'll be careful.”

“I'm always careful. You're the reckless one.”