-| 2 / a gift goodbye |-

Crystal had packed her bags and was ready for departure, but only in the physical sense of the word. Emotionally? Not so much.

Andy was at her door the next morning. No matter how much she loved Andy, she gave him a death glare. He seemed unfazed by it, probably because it was Crystal Meadows- or Cornel now- giving it to him.

“Can I have a moment?”, she frowned harder.

Andy sighed. “Fine, but only because I know you.”, he gave her a weak smile.

Crystal went back inside and gave Benny a tight hug.

“I'll make sure I come visit the village. Or if that can't happen, that you come instead. This isn't goodbye.”, she promised.

"I'm afraid it is, Crystie.", he smiled thinly.

“Have you met me?”, she rolled her eyes in a last attempt to make this goodbye cheerful. She knew deep inside, that no matter what she did, she wouldn't be seeing Benny again.

“Try to get along with your family.”, he asked her. She furrowed her eyebrows. She had some mean things to say in reply to that, but she didn't like being mean.

“Fine. I promise.”, she sighed eventually.

Andy cleared his throat. “We have to get going, if we're going to arrive there by tomorrow.”, he frowned. “I'm sorry, that's all the time I can give you...”, he sounded sincere.

Crystal gave him a disappointed nod.

“One last thing.”, Benny said. She stared at him and tilted her head in confusion. “I want you to take Ash.”

“What?! Dad, I can't do that!”, she protested. She bit her lip and looked away when she realised she had called him "dad".

“Please. You and Ash have been through a lot together. I think he likes you more than he likes me, anyway.”, he rolled his eyes. “As a last favor. A gift goodbye.”, he frowned. She nodded, again.

It was as if her voice was stuck in her throat, desperate trying to get out, but also clinging on her vocal cords for dear life. No matter how much she tried, she just couldn't bring herself to speak.

It was as if her own words were trying to choke her, so she didn't say anything.

She walked out of the house and followed Benny to the stables. Andy, along with about ten more soldiers (who were there to escort them back to the palace), followed them both closely.

They saddled up Ash and Benny handed Crystal the reigns.

“We really have to go. I'm sorry, Crystal.”, Andy apologised. Crystal glanced at his face, then went back to staring at the ground. She didn't want people to notice she was blinking tears back.

She gave Benny one final hug and mounted Ash.

“Oh, and Benny... I'm coming here for a final quest in a week.”, Andy avoided looking at his friend in the eye. Benny seemed oblivious to that. Crystal was out of earshot.

“You won't be visiting again? Finally getting that promotion, eh?”, he tried to laugh.

"I'll be visiting.", the soldier looked down. Benny cleared his throat and nodded in understanding.

“It's one last cup of coffee, then, I guess.”, Benny sighed and shook his head, sadly.

“Goodbye, old friend. If I were you, I would take that as a warning. Leave this place as fast as you can.”

“I can't leave my home, Andy. Not a second time and not for the same people. You know that.”

“One last cup of coffee it is, then...”, Andy sighed. They gave each other one last nod, and Andy took off with Crystal and the rest of the escorts.