Chapter Thirty-Five: Slumber Party

I'm telling you, this was so close to becoming yet another two-parter. But it's not. Just shy of 5k words. You're welcome (or I'm sorry, depending on what kind of reader you are).

Also, The Wizard of Oz was playing on TNT around the time I started writing this, so that was lucky.

************

"So... I'm supposed to ask you a favor."

Lying in bed, Charlie's head rests on your shoulder and she slides a hand up your neck, feeling around your chin until she finds your mouth, and places her fingers over your lips.

"New rule," she groans. "No favors before nine."

You laugh and leave a kiss on her hand before she lets it slide away. "Fair enough."

She drapes her arm around your middle, pulling herself even closer into you. "What we should do is take a trip."

"A trip?" you repeat.

"Yeah. Just you and me. There's gotta be somewhere you want to visit."

You shrug with one shoulder. "Not really – I've been around. Hunting's a travel job, you know?"

"Well, what about Hawaii?" she suggests. "Everybody wants to visit Hawaii."

"What, the creepy-crawlies on this continent not enough for you?"

She props herself up on her elbow and meets your eyes. "What about after all this? After retirement?"

You suck in a deep breath. "Oh, gosh, I don't know. I always figured I'd be hunting until I died," you say. "Or until all the monsters were dead, or until the end of the world, not necessarily in that order of likeliness."

She flicks her eyes away from you for a second, but you catch her disappointed frown. The room grows silent as the realization of wanting different things dawns on you both.

"You want out someday?" you ask, almost able to hear the futures you'd each been planning slip away as you knew them.

"Someday," she says, her voice reassuring. "Not before we've had our adventure."

You can't help the laugh that escapes your lips.

"What?" she asks.

"I mean, you've read the Supernatural books. Adventure gets you dead," you say. "Or in Hell, or both."

She sighs. "It's just that I expected hunting to be different. Less boring salting and burning, less dead werewolf kids, more... magic."

"I know," you say. "Maybe someday, hmm?"

The droning beep from the flashing blue numbers on nightstand startles you both, and you reach over her to click off the alarm.

"All right, what was that favor you were talking about?" she asks.

************

The next day, you follow Charlie into the bunker after a supply run. After unpacking in the kitchen, you find her sitting in front of her tablet in the computer room with the boys.

"Hey," Sam greets, and throws his arms around you.

Angel, angel, angel, angel...

You can't pull your mind away from that word, like every other time you've seen Sam the past week.

He must notice you tense up because he pulls away with a question in his eyes.

You can feel Dean's suspicious eyes on you as well, but you laugh off the moment. "What was that for?"