Chapter Thirty-Three: I'm No Angel, Part One

I tried to cram this all into one chapter, I swear I did.

P.S. This is the Charlie-est chapter I've written so far and it's making me so happy (but just wait until part two)!

************

Long red hair tickles your nose as sunlight floods through the tattered curtains to hit your eyes. You almost pull the worn blanket over your face to block it out before you realize a buzzing sound woke you.

An involuntary groan leaves your lips as you remove your arm from where it drapes across Charlie's waist and reach out to the nightstand to grasp your phone. After blinking the sleep away from your eyes, you make out Sam's name on the caller ID.

Your stomach clenches. You have been finding reasons to spend time away from the bunker lately. You miss your boys, and your instinct tells you to answer the call, but you can't keep your mind from wandering to who else may be listening. Since you learned of the strange angel inside of Sam, you haven't been able to shake the unease at talking to him, or even being around him at times.

Hitting the red button, you set your phone back down and slide out of bed. Charlie stirs in her sleep, but you pull the blanket up to her shoulders and she settles back into a peaceful state. A lock of hair has fallen across her cheek, and the grey of the early morning air makes her freckles stand out against her fair skin.

You press your lips to her forehead before you pad down the stairs and into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee.

The bubbling sound of the coffee drip provides the background noise to the beginning of hours of research and phone calls. Hunter after hunter calls for lore or for a fake law enforcement supervisor. It's no wonder Bobby grew so surly after all those years, you think with a chuckle.

You almost don't notice Charlie wandering into the room.

"Your phone's been blowing up," she comments.

"Thanks." You take your cell phone from her outstretched hand and place it on the desk without checking it. "There's coffee in the kitchen, by the way."

She nods, but her eyes grow concerned. "Everything's okay, right? With Sam and Dean?"

You want to tell her. You want to talk about how screwed up things are with them, about how worried you are. But you don't feel right burdening her with your issues, and she shouldn't have to lie to Sam.

"Everything's good," you say, plastering a smile on your face.

"Then, why aren't we at the Death Star?" she asks.

"Um," you rack your brain for an answer, and decide to change the subject. "This place – it's kind of a hub for hunters. A big circle of us, anyway. People call here when they need info, or backup, or when they need someone to vouch for them." You gesture to the phones lining the wall. "It's been passed down a couple times."

"Bobby, right? A sort of crotchety version of Hagrid? I read about him in the Supernatural books," she admits.

"Right," you nod. "I spent a lot of time watching him run things here. After he died, another hunter – Garth – took over. But now he's MIA, so here I am."

She listens intently, her eyes travelling over the phones and lore books. "Speaking of which, the books say you go to Hell, but the series ends before you get out. How did that happen?"

"Uh..." you trail off, unsure what to tell her.

Before you can answer, your phone buzzes next to you.

You give Charlie a guilty look, almost relieved until you read the name flashing on the screen.

"Hey, Dean," you answer, crossing the room.