Chapter 34: Everything Unleashed

"I've told you before, I don't know!"

Seraith was backed into a corner, surrounded by one of her kin, the purple dragon's fire burning through his eyes. And then there was Fendrel, the old man, once the Shadow Master of an extinct guild. So great was the old man's rage, he unsheathed a sword, and was so brash so as to point it to Seraith, only increasing the tension that had already arisen to a dangerous point.

The young outcasts were the only ones not partaking in this potentially dangerous conversation, choosing to be hiding in their own tents, still scarred by the Mistress Destroyer's horrific visage. Ayleth had chosen to withdraw too, tired and too spent to offer a rebuttal of some kind, or to even think clearly of this situation.

"Is that so?" Once again, Miasmador was the one to speak, when the others were as silent as stone. Like Fendrel, Miasmador had his own claws at the ready, even when knowing that he can't even try to hurt her in the least. "Then, maybe you can tell us why the woman just told of this promise we had no knowledge of."

"It was not a promise!" Seraith was both desparate and as enraged as all of them, but unlike them, she had chosen to curb her wrath.

Until now.

"Haven't you heard of the Shadow War, fools?"

"Even if that happened, dragon," Fendrel retorted immediately. "That was thousands of years ago, and even if you were alive at that time, you should have been a full grown dragon by then!"

"You und..."

"He's right, Seraith," Miasmador continued on with Fendrel's tirade. bv"It's simply impossible you lived that long and you're still a small hatchling compared to me."

His voice was harsh and unyielding, and so was Fendrel's, but Seraith would not relent in her defense, whether it was true or false was irrelevant in her eyes. She growled in her own tones, mirroring the purple dragon's own.

"I met her, I battled her, and I won."

"I don't believe it." So soon were there answers, that even they were surprised as the words rolled off their tongues.

Fendrel scoffed. "Do you expect us to believe that one dragon defeated the Mistress Destroyer when the Lord Dragon fell before her?"

"When thousands of our kin fell before her?" Miasmador finished with a snap of his jaws, making the three others not participating to jump in surprise.

Miasmador buried one of his claws deep into the ground, creating a shock wave that stumbled even the blue dragon, and as he raised it, it looked ready to hit the fledgling blue dragon.

"Laertiz and Selena were there to help me, as did countless other armies," Seraith explained, her eyes adopting a misty look, as if she was experiencing a true memory, as if it had really happened to her. "Selena was my friend."

"My mother, even."

"Do you even hear yourself, dragon!" Fendrel exclaimed. "You're saying that a dead goddess, the Queen of Stars no less, was your friend, your mother?"

"Laertiz failed in overthrowing her. What evidence do you have that you defeated the Demon Princess?" Miasmador asked the one question. "Laertiz gave it his all, sacrificing his power even, but in the end, he wound up dead."

"Who is to say that you did win?"

"I won against the Mistress Destroyer, but not the boy that became her student." Seraith looked away, shaking her head, the horns on her head becoming a light blur at her movements.

"Merec?" Miasmador heaved, and released a blinding billow of black dusty smoke, traces of fire here and there. "Merec, banished by Selena, only for the woman to die because of it."