Chapter 6: Beginnings

The dying fire crackled weakly, and Althalos stared at it, before turning his attention back to their surroundings. Hours have passed after his conversation with the demon lord, as well as his "test". As instructed by Merec, he had not imparted what information Merec had told him, nor did he even plan to. It was as if it was simply hidden deep into the recesses of his mind.

He was keeping watch again, but unlike the other nights, he's rested beforehand, as well as during some hours of the day, and it cleared his mind as well as his ever disobedient body and soul.

He sat upon a perch in a tree that overlooked the horizon, and the dragon was below him, guarding over their slumbering companions. Althalos clutched the Lich Blade in one hand, and the stone Merec gave him in another, and he never took his attention off of it for even on second, just like his vigilance was over his surroundings, scrutinizing even a single mouse moving through the darkened forest floor. The moon shone brightly, accompanied by the glistening stars of different sizes and colors, bringing about a strange feeling of serenity and relaxation.

Though it was of his own choice and not because of force, Miasmador kept watch with him. Miasmador, however, was solely focused on Althalos, glaring at him in a way only a dragon could. Every so often, a growl would emanate out of his throat, but the Shadow Champion paid no heed to it.

"What do you want?' Althalos finally asked when Miasmador suddenly snapped his jaws in what can be perceived as annoyance, then growled. "Do you wish to wake the others?"

"Sanity's eclipse," Miasmador muttered, and Althalos remembered that it was the exact same thing that Merec himself had muttered at one point.

"What do you mean by that, dragon?" Althalos asked, turning his gaze over to the slumped form of Miasmador for a brief moment.

"What your precious lord meant." Were his words, and the look Althalos gave Miasmador told it all.

Anger was bubbling up within him, and it can take only one wrong move and the slight ember ignited within him will explode into an inferno of rage and hate.

"What are you babbling about?" His tone took on a more aggressive tone as he glared at the dragon.

"Gods are not the only beings with the powers of telepathy, young boy," Miasmador growled, baring his teeth as his next words were transmitted directly into Althalos's brain. "And you're Lord is certainly not smart enough to guard his own words."

"You're saying.." Suppression was the only thing that was barring the Champion of Merec from shutting the dragon up, and in his mind, shutting him up completely.

"I am capable of telepathy as well," Miasmador said, letting out a plume of black smoke that wavered through the air, a testament to the fire inside the dragon.

"Impossible." Was the swift reply from the Shadow Champion. "Only my lord and his slaves are worthy of such a gift."

A growl crept up from the dragon's lips as he bared his gleaming teeth again. The warning was clear, do not attempt to provoke the dragon at any cost, and seeing how Althalos had acted towards him, as well as his current situation at the hands of the demon lord, it was not long before the dragon took matters into his own hands.

"I am a dragon, human," He retorted. "We are the rulers of the skies and the terror of the lands and the seas, and you mean to tell me that I am unworthy of telepathy?"

His voice was gradually becoming louder and louder, until it was nearly coming into a shout, the baritone voice of the dragon epitomizing the word of fear.

"Yes, dragon, for only a god as powerful as Lord Merec is capable of such a feat."

A snarl emanated from the dragon's throat, and his eyes were turning to slits. "Stupidity."