Chapter 18: Darkness is Salvation

"No!"

Both Althalos and Fendrel exclaimed in unison. They saw what they had expected and hoped most to see. Ayleth Hadriansdotter, very much alive.

But unconscious.

Althalos gritted his teeth, electricity beginning to spark to life in their own volition, or rather, his anger. Althalos's Lich Blade began to emit a glow as the lightning flashed through it, a blue aura tinting it. Fendrel himself had the Dragon Blade itself ready, the blade spelling death in the slightest nick.

"Move one step, and I slit her throat," A guttural voice resonated through the small room that lacked any windows or doors other than the one they went in.

The eyes of the Shadow Champion began to take on a darker color, becoming completely black, his pupils and irises indistinguishable from the orbs of darkness that were his eyes. Fendrel himself conjured up a flame specter, the spell-made infernal man wielding a sword as fiery as the element that made him.

"How about you let our friend go," Fendrel began, his voice low as he portrayed his suggestion,"and he won't kill you slowly and painfully?"

Fendrel knew already of the blood lust that flowed in Althalos's veins, the wanting to kill, to shed blood, actions he is compelled to do in such a state. Althalos grinned at Fendrel's words, fixing their temporary obstruction a hard glare.

Althalos slowly approached him with one step, then another, and then the orc spoke again, his voice shaking slightly,"I said don't move! Or the bitch dies!"

"I'm not sure you should be doing that, little Molag," Althalos said, drawing both their attention at his suddenly deepened voice yet, whisper-like tones. "You either hand over our companion, or I torture you in ways you couldn't even imagine."

It was clear to Fendrel that this Althalos was not the same as before. It was as if the simple thirst for blood had changed him to a dresueramia himself.

Molag was the same as any other orc. The only differece was the black and red leather armor he wore that completely looked ugly on him. He held a single dagger that was placed next to an unconscious Ayleth's neck, ready to be pushed at a moment's notice.

The orc smirked, thinking that a simple facade of indifference would do him good. "You wouldn't want a little girl like this to be chopped up, no.."

It went faster than Fendrel could've ever expected.

One moment, Althalos was there, his blade ready for the taste blood like its wielder, and then the next, he was standing beside Molag, the orc's head rolling to the floor as the electricity in Althalos's arms illuminated the Lich Blade like before, and the red stain on the blade was interpretable.

The moment Ayleth landed on the rock ground, Althalos sheathed the Lich Blade as the electricity died all of a sudden, dimming the room. He scooped her up in his arms, his face as passive as before, the black matters swirling in his eyes. Fendrel would've been lying if he hadn't thought that Althalos truly looked terrifying then.

Althalos continued to carry Ayleth as they exited the building, and then Fendrel had to hold off some orcs again, who were miraculously saved from Miasmador and Seraith's flames.

Althalos shook his head then, his eyes returning to their blackened red hue. He looked at his unconscious charge, and he smiled. Even when she was streaked with blood and dirt, Ayleth still looked as beautiful as ever.

Althalos banished the thought immediately.

Not the time to be thinking up of such things!