Chapter 17: Three Parts Successful

Althalos woke up the next day, and he breathed deeply, opening his eyes.

Much to his surprise, he saw only blue everywhere he turned his eyes to, and he reached out his hands, and felt a sinewy membrane that he identified were Seraith's wings. He saw the light veins that coursed through her wings, and he looked at her warm scaly side, rising up and down to her breathing.

A sigh slipped past his lips as the memories of the other night invaded his mind again. He saw himself change into a pathetically whimpering boy, begging to the Lord of Shadowy Death to end his torment, and then he closed his eyes, tears beginning to form as he remembered the visions.

His friends died before his eyes, their bodies desecrated and destroyed completely.

A few tears leaked out. Shaking his head, he tapped the wing, and it raised, revealing a gray-blue sky, and a still stoic-looking Seraith.

"How goes your slumber?" Seraith asked, her grumbles as soft as can be.

"I've had worse." Came Althalos's reply, blunt and cold.

"I must ask.." Before Seraith had a chance to finish, Althalos interrupted her with a "What?" and a sigh, clearly having no time to answer such questions, questions in general.

"What is it?" Althalos asked again when Seraith became quiet, a low rumble echoing out of her throat.

"Why is it that this bond that you have with the Lord of Shadowy Death..." She stopped for a moment, as if finding the right words, so as not to offend Althalos,"is only detrimental to your own life? Have you not considered..."

Althalos knew where she was going with it, and he dared to challenge the demon lord by saying,"Breaking the bond?"

A bitter laugh cackled out, and was followed by a slight grunt as his head started to hurt once more. Though Merec himself did not deign to speak, the warning was as clear as day to Althalos.

"Believe me, Seraith. Doing so, or even thinking of it, would only end in chaos, not death, but chaos and pain."

She went quiet, and then Althalos took the time to look around, noting that it was still relatively early, and that the others had not yet awoken yet, still roaming the land of dreams, living their own fantasies.

"Now I ask you, Seraith the dragon." Came Althalos's voice emanating out of the peaceful serenity of the grove, his words pertaining to the young blue dragon that sheltered him from the cold wind that blew. "Was travelling with us worth it? And why did you not kill me when I told you about my bond?"

Again, the pain intensified, and he clutched his head, and Seraith took the hint.

"It'd be best not to speak of such matters, Althalos. And yes, I do quite believe travelling with you was worth it. I've lost many friends, and many enemies, and I've lived a century already."

"And yet, you are still a young dragon," Althalos pointed out, raising an eyebrow, leaning his head on her side as her wings dropped down again, hiding him from the eyes of the others, as well as the frigid touch that haunted his bones.

"Being old does not mean I can still have fun, now can I? The day my fire finally burns out is the day I will stop my adventures," Seraith retorted, a wry grin, or at least that was what Althalos thought she was doing, painted her face.

"Then I ask you this, dragon." Althalos's voice wafted through the air, his voice carrying untouched and bitter misery as he continued,"You say this crusade was worth the danger, but is it really when you have the Champion of Shadowy Death travelling with you? I would hate to put you down, I would certainly hate it, but if the Lord commands me, then I shall do so."