Chapter 11

“What are you doing here?” I led Jerod outside of Terravago to have a word with him.

“I thought you wanted me here.” He crossed his arms around his chest.

“Yes, I did.” I replied, doing my best to keep my temperament. “But only so you could patch things up with Jo. Not insinuate in public that you and I are having a relationship.”

“I wasn’t insinuating anything.” Jerod said defensively. “I told people the truth that we’re together, but I never said together as in we’re dating. If people misinterpret that the wrong way, then I couldn’t really give a damn. We’re no longer friends with more than half of the people there. It’s not like their opinions matter.”

I scoffed at Jerod. “But what about our classmates? Stephanie, Krissa, Ronnie? Don’t you care about what they think? They know we both live together, but what if they believe you, too?”

“I’m sure we can explain to them tomorrow. No big deal.”

“What about Jo?” I thought I saw Jerod recoil at the mention of Jo’s name, but he stared back at me with a poker face.

“As far I know, she wouldn’t be concerned about it anymore now that he has that Chandler guy around.”

I shoved Jerod. “And me? What about me? What about what I think?”

“Why? What about what you think?”

I shook my head and heaved a deep sigh. “You know what Jerod? You can be an insensitive jerk sometimes.”

I spun my back towards him and headed back inside. Before I reached the entrance, He called out, “Aren’t you going home yet? Let’s go home together. I really came to pick you up anyway.”

I paused and glanced back at him. “Go home on your own. I’m too pissed to talk to you right now.”

“Pissed? Since when does Erica Alcantara get pissed?” A smirk was still tugging on his lips.

“I do get pissed sometimes. You think I’m okay with putting up with all of this because you know that I’m not the type of person to complain. But I’m angry right now and I wish to see you out of my sight before I lose any respect for you.”

Jerod was taken aback. I had never spat at him like this.  Realizing his foolishness, he walked towards me and sighed, “I-I’m sorry, Erica. I have no intention to do what I just did. Honestly, I just couldn’t think straight when I’m in front of Jo.”

“You’re clearly not over her.” I stated.

“That’s not it.” He retorted instantly. “Believe it or not, I’m over her, Erica. But I wanted to convince her fully that I am.”

“And in order to do so, you used me as a prop for your act.” I said indignantly. I shook my head as I averted Jerod’s contrite gaze. “You have no right to do what you did.”