Chapter 6

The waiter led me upstairs. I started feeling very queasy inside. I didn’t know where he was taking me, but I had an idea that he was bringing me to see the administrator or manager. At the end of the stairs was a landing. At the landing, there was a large double door. The waiter held out the door for me, but I wasn’t led to an office. Rather, it was a spacious room with a yellowish and calm ambience.

A table covered in red cloth and adorned with a beautiful tulip centrepiece was set in the middle of the room. Sitting there was the masculine figure of Jay or Jeremy Law.

Jeremy Law upon seeing me stood up abruptly, ramming into the table with a clang. He was dressed in a casual striped shirt under a brown blazer.

“You came.” Excitement was perceptible in his voice. He pulled out a chair for me like a gentleman.

“I’m sorry.” I said apologetically. I could barely look him in the eye.

While we settled in our seats, the waiter collected the empty cups of ice cream on our table. Jeremy had three cups of them. I felt Jeremy’s legs shaking under the table. He thanked the waiter when he left and told him to bring our orders.

“So,” Jeremy beamed at me and I was relieved that he still managed to do so. I expected him to be irritated or something.

“I’m really sorry.” I apologized again. “I was late because my best friend just gave birth.”

“Oh! Congratulations.” Jeremy’s grin widen, exposing his nice set of teeth. “I thought that you forgot. I’m glad that I waited for you then.”

“I was late for two hours and you still waited.” I said.

“Don’t worry. Two hours was not that long.” He said with a grin, his eyes turning into a fine line. I noticed a shallow dimple at the bottom of his right lip that I didn’t notice before. It was the first time I actually saw Jeremy’s face this close without his hood. He didn’t have very striking features like Tristan, but he was good-looking in a subtle and unflashy kind of way.

The waiter arrived with the food Jeremy ordered. He had a huge grin on his face. He was clearly very excited to be waiting for Jeremy.

I still found it too incredible. An average girl like me was having dinner with Jeremy Law.

 “This is weird.” I blurted out suddenly.

Jeremy Law blinked at me. “Hmm?”

I tilted my head towards him and he straightened his back as if he was ready to be scrutinized.

“I know who you are.!”

He seemed to have anticipated my question. He smiled at me and extended his right hand. “My friends call me J as in the letter J. So, who do you think I am?"