Chapter 8

The coach must’ve said something to Jeremy at the locker room because when he returned for the second half, he had become an entirely different player from who he was at the first half.

I think Jeremy was being Jeremy and it became clear to me why he was the team’s key player, why he was rookie of the year and MVP.

Jeremy for the second half controlled the game. He dominated the paint with his defensive and offensive prowess. He scored buckets wilfully and held the man he was guarding to almost zero. He grabbed rebounds and loose balls and was there at the right place when Chan or Lee passed him the ball. He moved inside the court like poetry in motion. He was a smart player who could anticipate the next movements, the next passes, the next shots.

In less than a minute, Rain or Shine overcame their seven-point deficit with Jeremy on the court. In less than a full quarter, Rain or Shine led the Barako Bulls by double digits.

“How does he do that?” I inquired Kevin who gaped at Jeremy like a starstruck teenager at a Justin Bieber concert.

“He is Michael Jordan!” Kevin exclaimed while on the verge of getting down on his knees and worshipping Jeremy.

The game concluded with a sixteen-point lead for Rain or Shine. I didn’t keep track of the box score, but Jeremy must’ve had more than thirty points for his unbelievable performance in the second half.

“Hallelujah, Jeremy Law!” Kevin just wouldn’t get over the game. I let him have his moment of taking a selfie and updating his Instagram and Twitter.

When he finished updating his status, I looked at him. “Ready to head home?”

“Aren’t you supposed to claim your prize?” Kevin reminded me. “Where were you supposed to claim it?”

“Oh yeah,” I shrugged. “From Mr. Borces, Jeremy’s PA.”

“His PA?” I felt Kevin’s hands on my shoulders. “Let’s go meet him, Erica. We might meet Jeremy, too. I want to take a picture with him.”

Before I could even protest, Kevin dragged me across the court. We followed the basketball team’s entourage, media people and fans with VIP passes.

A tall, dark and beefy man blocked our way into the dugout. “Do you have a pass?” He said in a monotonous and low pitch voice.

“No,” I replied.

“Sorry, but this is exclusive.” The large man said.

“C’mon, we’re looking for Mr. Borces, the PA of Jeremy Law. This is Erica, the girl from the halftime show. She’s here to claim her prize.” Kevin explained.

I felt the weight of the bouncer’s eyes on me as he scanned me with his eyes. He turned to another bouncer. “Diego, they’re looking for Kyle.”