Six.

Chapter Six –

“You’re a guy, how the hell don’t you know what’s wrong with your car?!” I exclaimed angrily, slamming his door shut.

“Stop generalising and being sexist.” Caleb snapped back, closing the hood of the car with a frustrated grunt.

I glared at him and looked around once more. We were completely isolated. There was no sign of civilisation within my field of vision and I was beginning to grow cold and hungry.

I wrapped my arms around myself and looked over at Caleb again with a softer expression. “Do you want me to start walking to see if there’s anything-”

“What the fuck is wrong with you?!” He raged, his eyes flashing from the low lighting of the headlights.

My eyes widened. “What did I do now?”

“Do you honestly think I’m going to let you walk alone at midnight down an abandoned road?!”

“There’s no need to snap at me! I was just trying to help.” I snapped, scowling in anger.

“Get in the car.” Caleb muttered, pulling out his phone again. “I swear to god if they don’t fucking answer soon I’m going to break every single one of their phones.” He spoke to himself, dialling a number.

He placed it onto his ear and I decided to get back into the warm car; knowing I wasn’t going to be much help to him with a dead phone and frostbite.

I mindlessly tapped onto the dashboard in front of me and watched as Caleb paced back and forth outside with stone cold glare etched onto his features and furiously tapping his phone every minute or so. After what felt like forever, he opened the door on the driver’s side and slid into the leather seat, clicking the door shut behind him.

We sat in an awkward silence before Caleb spoke up. “This is all your fault.” He muttered angrily.

My fault? It’s your car! And you’re the one who wanted to go the ‘short cut’ way!” I exclaimed, turning to face him.

Caleb also turned to me. “I wouldn’t be in this position in the first place if it weren’t for you strolling around the dorm room blabbing on about you coming here!”

My nostrils flared in frustration as I tried to calm myself down. “You didn’t have to come.” I got out through gritted teeth.

“Yes I did or you’d be broke.” He stated in a bored tone.

“You could’ve just told me to pack my wallet and saved yourself the trouble!”

Caleb chose not to respond to my comment, and I leaned back with a smug smile on my face once I realised I had one the argument.

Until I realised why.

“Are you kidding me? You’re playing piano tiles right now?! We need to save your phone battery; we’re in the middle of nowhere!” I exclaimed, looking at his slim phone with wide eyes.

He simply shrugged as his thumbs began to fly across the screen as the speed increased.

I sighed in defeat before a long yawn escaped my mouth. Realising that it was probably past midnight, I pushed the seat I was in backwards so that it was almost flat and took off my cardigan so that it could act as a blanket. “I’m going to try and get some sleep.” I murmured, trying to get comfortable in the leather seat.

Caleb scoffed. “You can’t even sleep with mini shorts on; I can’t wait to see you try and sleep with jeans.”

I opened one eye and attempted to glare at him, but he was still focused on his phone to notice it. “You’re right. Let me go and get changed into a pair of comfy shorts – oh wait, we’re in the middle of nowhere.