Chapter Nine

~The Captains' Bet~

Parker Jacobs

"Parkerrrrrrrr," Ryan's voice called out from the other end of the phone. 

I rolled my eyes, "What?" 

"What's the formula thing for the polyatomic ion Perchlorate?" He asked as I heard his Chemistry books pages being turned.  

"Um, ClO4-," I replied. "Are you actually doing homework?"

He was silent for a moment as he scribbled down what I just told him. "Well, yeah, you won't come hang out." 

I chuckled, "Miss me?" 

"No." I heard him grumble into the phone before letting out a sigh. "I hate chem." 

I pulled the laundry out of the dryer, starting to fold the laundry. "I'd come over but I have laundry and stuff to do. It's not going to fold itself." 

"I can come help," Ryan suggested. 

I let out a chuckle, "You'd rather clean than do chemistry?" 

"At least I wouldn't be alone, I'll be over in five," he spoke quickly. 

"Wait, Rya-" I was cut off by the sound of the call getting disconnected. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I didn't even get dressed yet and now he's showing up at my house? My ragged sweatpants and the multiple-holed t-shirt was doing me no justice. My slippers hung loosely on my feet and my hair was a complete mess. I quickly pulled it down and redid it, looking it the mirror. 

A knock sounded on my door a few moments later and I walked over to open it. "It's about time!" Ryan trudged into my house, pulling off his shoes and setting them nicely under the coat rack. 

"Sure come right in," I said, sarcastically. He threw a smile at me before it quickly faded. 

"What kind of bus hit you?" He asked, motioning to my outfit. 

I looked down at my clothing, "Well, I didn't have time to get dressed into something Mr. Picky would approve of." 

"You know," he said. "I think you'd probably have more guys drooling over you if you didn't dress like this. I mean, you don't need to make it a point to show that it's very easy for you to look awful." 

I rolled my eyes, "I'm going back to finish my laundry." I walked past Ryan and into the room. 

"I'll help," he said, cheerfully. 

It only took a few minutes before he was making comments. "Your dad lets you wear this?! I think I need to have a talk with him." 

I snatched my red laced bralette out of his hands, glaring at him. "You don't need to examine every item of clothing I have." 

"Look! Matching underwear, too," Ryan said, "Will you wear them for me? That would totally be hot." 

"Fuck off, Ryan," I said, getting annoyed by him. 

"Someone's grouchy." 

"Since I helped you clean, will you take me out for lunch?" Ryan asked, sprawled out on my couch, his head near my thigh. 

"Seriously?" I asked, "there's lunch meat in the fridge." 

He sighed, "Hey, Parker?" 

"What?" 

"So, since we're, yanno, fake together, that means I can't have sex with other girls, right?" Ryan asked. 

"I don't care what you do, Ryan," I stated.