Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Jayden’s P.O.V.

“I should be going.” Looking up I see Raven getting up from the floor next to the twins where they have been playing video games since dinner.

I can’t believe it. What are the odds her step father is Clark. I haven’t heard his name in years, I didn’t think I would ever have to deal with him again and yet here I am in the same room of his step daughter. He has a family?

Pouting the twins grab a hold of her arms pulling her back down. “Aw come on it’s barely nine.” Roman says.

That last time I have ever heard of Clark was when my mother and I were still with my biological father. Clark just so happened to be my father’s supplier. That’s man was the reason I had such a shitty childhood.

My father went through a depression after he was laid off of work. He turned to alcohol to cope but it didn’t help anyone. When he comes back to our crappy apartment, if he ever did, he would always be short tempered. Mad about losing all his money in poker games or just wasting it on drinks and hookers.

He would always blame my mother and I, and started turning violent. First he would abuse me, an occasional beaten here and there. I was too scared to do anything but one day he went after my mom. That was his first mistake.

I didn’t care what he did to me; I was his loser son, a disgrace to his name. That’s why when my mom remarried I happily took Leo’s name. When he went after my mother I attacked him. He ended up having to get stitches and after that he didn’t bother me or my mother. My father did so much to me, but even so when he called me-not even being able to finish a complete sentence-to go pick him up, I still went.

But when I got there he was getting in some other man’s car. That man was Clark Dawson. Apparently that night my father had a poker game with him and lost everything. Clark saw this as an opportunity to expand his territory. He was looking for someone to sell his products in our neighborhood and seeing as my father was in need of money he offered him a job.

Things only got worse with him using his own supplies and owing Clark money. We even had to sleep in our run down car a few nights because we didn’t have any place to sleep. He only got more violent. Ever since I fought back he would only break things within arm’s reach but when he started using drugs he became bolder.

He would throw things at me and I would throw him a punch here and there, but nothing much happened there. When he was in serious trouble with Clark, my father threatened that he would kill my mom if I didn’t help him out. Having no choice I started selling his supplies for him since he could help himself around it.

Every now and then he would be able to steal a bit and I ended up having to make up for the lost money. Things were going smoothly until Clark found out I was selling his product instead. My father took a beating, and I would have to if I didn’t fight back. This ended up impressing Clark, and I was left off the hook, he even offered me a job and I just said I’d think about it.

The next day when my father was out selling, my mother and I packed up and left, leaving my father, Clark, and our problems behind.

“But I really should get going.” Raven insists. “Hopefully he’s done by now.” She whispers, I don’t think she meant for anyone to hear her.

“Who he?” Robert asks.

“Uh…what?” Raven asks with wide eyes. She’s clearly terrified. Is she talking about Clark? Does she know about him?

“You said something about he being done.” Roman says.

“Um, no I didn’t. Are you sure you don’t need to clean out your ears?” She says given the twins a smile, but I know it’s fake. The twins give each other a skeptical look but brush it off.