Chapter 9

๑ Chapter 9๑ 

I finally release the breath I was holding in as I back out of the drive way. I managed to avoid Clark this whole morning, and my mother kept reminding me to busy myself after school so I don’t cross his path in the afternoon. Maybe I’ll just go swimming again.

It doesn’t take me long to get to school, and shortly after getting out of the car I find myself between two twins. I’m starting to get used to them just appearing out of nowhere since they insist on following me around. It seems they’ve made themselves my big brothers, I don’t mind, I actually have always wanted a brother or sister. 

“You excited for your second day here?” Robert asks.

“Yea I especially can’t wait for art since both of you are going to be there. I wonder what other mischievous pranks you both would pull to keep me entertained.” I respond given them both a smile.

“How does a paint fight sound?” Roman ask.

“That would be nice but how about we hold that off until I bring an extra change of clothes. Now that I think of it maybe I should leave some in my locker since I seem to always need some.” I say remembering the times of times I’ve needed a change of clothes ever since I arrived here.

We laugh as we walk down the hallways. I don’t know what it is about these guys, but they make me feel comfortable, like there’s nothing I need to worry about. I’m able to break out of my shell when I’m around them. As we walk around just wasting time, Aiden joins us.

“So you ready for English?” He asks me.

“Yea I actually enjoy English.” I perk up as we start talking about my favorite subject.

“Nerd” The twins say in unison as they smile at me. I smile back and shrug my shoulders, it’s not like it isn’t true. I have always studied hard to try and see if I can find a way my mother and I can escape Clark without killing ourselves.

“So I’m guessing you’ll be happy to find out we’re supposed to be doing a paper on 1984 by George Orwell?” Aiden asks me.

“Oh I read that in middle school, I actually loved it.” I feel like I can connect with that book, as if I’m one of the citizens while Clark is Big Brother, always looking over my shoulder.

“Think you want to do an extra essay?” Aiden ask giving me a pleading look. I laugh at him but shake my head.

“No sorry, but I can help you if you want.” I say giving him a friendly punch on the shoulder. He grabs his shoulder as if I actually hurt him and pouts at him. I only laugh harder and shake my head once more.

“Alright see you next class period Rave.” Roman says as we near the English room. They both squish me between them as they hug me. I flinch away at first but relax when I realize they wouldn’t do anything to hurt me.

“Can’t wait!” I call out to them as they round the corner.

“Ready for the most boring class every?” Aiden ask me

“Come on it can’t be that bad.”

“You’ll be surprised.” We make our way to the back of the room and sit in the corner. A few minutes later a woman walks in and sits in the front desk.

“Good morning class.” Mrs. Keller says

“And that’s my cue.” Aiden says as he lays his head on top of his desk. I smile down at him and turn my attention back to the teacher. I don’t know what Aiden’s talking about, this class didn’t bore me one bit. I was always a book worm, pretending I’m a character in the books I read. After telling the class what page to turn to in the textbook and work on the assignment she goes back to her paper work.