Chapter 20

Nicholas POV

I was tired for the journey here and James' mom seems unhappy to see me. I knew it was too good to be true when James told me to spend summer with him here.

I was looking forward to meet his mother ever since I saw her picture on his table. She was the one I dreamt of every single night ever since I could remember. Of course in my dream, she looked much younger and I was much older.

James told me not much about her. He must have loved her so much to put her picture on his table causing every girl he dated ask him who that was. But not more than that. I couldn't ask him, I never told anyone about my secret, there were times that I even need to convince myself that as long as I didn't imagine something dirty about her, I was not a pervert that daydreaming about his friend's mom.

I stared at her during the drive but she constantly ignored me. She must hated me.

Right after we arrived, James and I took our suitcases and his mom stormed inside immediately. We were standing on the porch and saw her back moving away.

"James, is it me?"

"What do you mean?" He asked me.

"Your mom doesn't look happy."

He took a deep breath and said, "she doesn't. But not because of you. It was something I said, I guessed. I mentioned dad. She must felt sad because of it."

"But I thought your dad died even before you're born."

"Yeah. And until today she was still in love with him." He opened the door, "I'll show you you room. I'm starving, just put these bags and prepare breakfast, okay?"

"Yeah."

My room was the furthest door from the front door. And when I passed her door I wished I could knocked and asked her what's wrong.

I put my bags in my room. It was small, just enough for a single bed and small wardrobe. But the view was beautiful. Endless colorful flowers.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" James said, standing beside me facing my room's window like me.

"Yeah, very."

He then turned to the door and said, "come on, let's cook something."

He took some eggs from the fridge and cooked them while I was preparing pancakes. I liked pancakes. I was cooking them when he said to me, "I'll call my mom."

He walked to his mom's room. It wasn't far from the kitchen and I could hear him knocking.

"Were you crying?" I heard James said to her. I couldn't see them because of the wall but their voice were clear.

"Mom, I'm happy that you still love him after twenty years, but I'll be happier to see you happy even though it means you'll be with someone else." I heard James said again.

I felt pain in my chest as I knew the fact that she was crying for her dead husband. James was right. She should got over it by now and moved on.

I looked up and I saw her walking in with James. She ignored me completely and she walked to the fridge. I waited when I finished cooking. But since she seemed not moving away from the fridge, I walked to her. Touched her shoulder and that made her moved a bit away from the door, so I opened the door wider and took butter and syrup for the pancake. I joined James on the table and she was still at the fridge.

"Mom, let's eat."

She then put 3 empty glasses on the table and a carton of juice. She sat next to James, poured the juice and slides 1 for James and 1 for me.