Chapter Fifty-One

Author's Note:

Okay, I just really couldn't wait any longer to post this. When I saw the last time I updated this story was February, I about had a heart attack. That's a loooong time to leave you guys with such a huge cliffhanger. I hope this will appease you until I get some more parts written up. Thanks for showing Charlie and Daryl so much love and sticking with me through all this endless waiting. I am forever indebted to you all. Thank you. 

-Nikki

----------------------------------------------------------

Charlie

I felt bile rising up in my throat as the walker staggered towards me, its decaying arms grasping out in front of it. My breath was coming in panicked, heavy gasps. I was tied to a chair in a basement cell with a hungry walker and nothing to defend myself. It was then I remembered, thank god, that Merle had untied my legs before he disappeared. The walker came closer, reeking of rotting flesh and death. I kicked hard, my feet striking its chest hard. It stumbled backwards a few feet, giving me time to stand. With the chair still tied to my wrists it was a battle just to do that. I stumbled as I tried to gain my balance, my head beginning to pound again. The walker came at me again, horrible, guttural sounds coming from its gaping, open mouth. I spun around, hitting it with the chair. The walker was knocked to the ground but I lost my footing and hit the concrete hard. I felt like my lungs were on fire inside my chest as the air as I gasped for breath. My vision swam, my bruised face pulsating with pain. A cry of pain escaped my lips as I struggled to get to my feet only to collapse to the ground in a heap. I could hear the walker crawling on the floor behind me, clawing at the cement in a desperate attempt to reach me. A sob wracked my body, as I realized I wasn’t going to live through this. I felt utterly drained as I used to last of my energy to push myself towards the opposite side of the room, lying on my side on the cold ground.

Suddenly, there were voices. Something flew past my ear, whistling through the air. There was a thud as the walker went silent. Panting for air, I lifted my head to see an arrow embedded in the zombie’s skull. The relief that rushed through my in that moment was overwhelming. I was aware of the ropes that had bonded me to the chair being cut away and someone was talking to me in a low soothing voice, though it was hard to listen over the sobs that shuddered through my entire body. A pair of arms encircled me and I recognized the familiar sweet, musky scent as I was pulled into someone’s chest. It was Daryl. I crushed myself to him, pulling him closer, almost afraid he wasn’t real.

“It’s alright, baby girl…I got you. It’s okay. You’re safe now.” He said softly as I clung to him tightly, afraid to let go. I felt the tears subsiding, my breathing slowing. Daryl pulled away from me slightly and our eyes met. I watched as his gaze flickered over my battered face, taking in every cut and every bruise. The muscles in his jaw tensed, the look in his eyes hardening until he was left with a furious, bitter expression. He shook his head angrily. “What the hell did they do to you, Charlie?” He muttered. I winced as his fingertips gently brushed across my check. “I swear to god, I’ll kill ‘em for touchin’ you. I’ll rip those god damn assholes apart.” He pulled me closer again, burying his face into my hair and I closed my eyes, breathing his scent in deep. “God damn it, Charlie. You scared the hell outta me.”

“I was scared too.” I managed to choke out, my voice a mangled whisper. “I didn’t think I’d see you again, or anyone.”

His lips brushed over my forehead before he gently placed them against my lips. I savored the sensation, one I had almost convinced myself I’d never feel again. We broke apart after a long moment, his blue eyes meeting mine. “You don’t gotta be scared anymore, ya hear me? I got you…I’m not gonna let anythin’ happen to you. I promise.”