Chapter 1

ALEXANDRIA(ALEX):

I was woken up by the sound of the alarm,  just like any other day.

It was 6:15 AM here in Italy. Just like I was accustomed, I started my daily routine: I got up and went straight to the bathroom. Turning on the shower,  I took off my pajamas and slid the scrunchie off my hair, letting my blond hair loose. I stepped into the shower and, for 20 minutes, felt the warm water pound against my back.

"Hurry up!", I heard someone yell from outside.

I went straight to my closet, looked around, and settled for a nice pair of black jeans accompanied by a white tank top. Turning around to face my mirror, I examined myself: my long blond hair was tied up in a messy bun and the outfit I chose complimented my fair skin. I wanted to put some make-up on, but not too much; only a bit of eyeliner to frame my blue eyes and some lip gloss to make my pinkish red lips stand out more.

"You know, for a twenty-four-year-old, you sure do take your time, Alex." I heard the voice of Sophia, my best friend, drawing closer. She made her way into my room without bothering to knock. She strode unhurriedly  to my bed,  sat down, and made motions for me to hurry up.

Nonetheless, I continued to take my time. To double-check, I looked back to the mirror. The outfit I was wearing was plain, but it outlined my body perfectly.

Oh, how unlike me to not introduce myself!

As my friend already informed you, I am twenty-four years old. My name is Alexandria Smith.

I guess I should have more pride when I utter my name since my family is the founder and owner of the world-known Smith CO. This company owns the biggest chain of hotels in the world and the entire family is composed of billionaires, so I guess have more pride when I introduce myself to others. But I don't.

All the money that the rest of the family is accustomed to seeing and  spending has never reached my hands. I'm the black sheep of the family; the odd one that is forced to work to buy her luxuries while the rest of the family is handed their every desire and whim.

But I don't mind my middle class job, I'm the manager at one of the top rated restaurants in the region. It's  actually interesting; I meet new people everyday and I always have a story to tell. But, the real reason I love my job  so much is because it gets me away from my family; the nearest Smith hotel is seventy miles away and, to me, that's not enough.

People ask me why I have so much disdain and hatred for my family. They often infer it's because they  treated me like a peasant and conclude I'm a spoiled child who's bitter that she can't purchase all the handbags she desires.

They never bother to ask how my sister slept with my husband. Or how my parents never reprimanded or even scolded her her for it. They just let it go and tried to hide the shattered remains of my marriage under the rug.

My heart started to beat faster, my fists clenched so hard, my nails dug into my palms.  My face was flushed and I was breathing intensely.

How could he?

I hate and love him with all my heart. In my darkest times, when my family wasn't there for me he was- even though he caused the greatest deception in my life, he also gave me my greatest memory and gift which anybody could ever ask for.

"Alex, what's wrong?", Sophie's voice shot through my thoughts. Her concerned voice  woke me up.

Shaken, I realized I was crying; tears were streaming steadily.  This tends to happen when I think about about the past.

I wiped them away, faced Sophia, and motioned for her to follow me as I exited my room.

"Nothing's wrong."

Just like another day,

MADDY