Chapter Twelve: End of the Year

[Chapter Twelve]

I sat a cupcake each in front of Fred and George.

“Happy birthday,” I said.

“Hey, you figured it out,” said George, picking his up.

“Or she asked Percy,” said Terry.

“Oh, hush.” I lightly punched him on the shoulder.

“Cheater,” Fred said.

“You never gave me any rules,” I protested.

Fred rolled his eyes.

“Oh, alright, you win,” he said. He reached into his robe pocket and pulled out a box of Every Flavored Beans, handing it to me.

“Yay!” I squealed.

The next month when stretched into nothing but long hours of homework (mostly from Snape) and studying. Terry and I only saw Fred and George at breakfast and I often didn’t help with them with pranks so I could go to the library (“You really are a Ravenclaw then?” Fred asked, peering over my shoulder as I worked on one of Snape’s essays). Some nights I would fall asleep at the tables in the common room, and I would be shaken awake by a prefect who would tell me to go get some sleep in my own bed.

Exams were approaching rapidly, and I knew that anything under an E was unacceptable.

“Did you hear about what Potter did?” Fred asked darkly on a rather gloomy morning (ironically).

I raised an eyebrow. I looked over at Terry, who shrugged.

“No, but I can imagine that you’re going to tell me,” I said.

“He, Ganger, and that Longbottom snuck out after curfew and lost Gryffindor one hundred and fifty points,” he said, a look of disgust on his face.

I didn’t know what to say. This entire year I hadn’t paid an inkling of attention to the hourglasses in the entrance hall, but as we passed them now, I noticed that Gryffindor was below all of the other houses, despite winning both of their Quidditch matches. Personally, I didn’t understand why Fred was so angry, but, then again, Fred and I were two completely different people. He cared about pranking and Quidditch, and, while I spend some time pranking, I would rather spend my time doing schoolwork or reading.

“So what if they lost points?” I asked. “The house cup really isn’t that big of a deal.”

“Not that big of a deal?” Fred and George both glared at me. “We could have won this year, but then Potter and that lump had to go ruin it!”

I opened my mouth to say something, but Fred cut me off.

“Save it,” he sneered. He turned and stormed away, George at his heels.

“Fred!” I called after him. My eyes stung and I blinked away tears.

“Lucy?” Terry asked cautiously. “Don’t worry about him, he’ll cool off by tomorrow, most likely.”

I shrugged.

“I’m going to go up to my dorm,” I said. “I’m not feeling to well.”

Terry nodded.

I hurried up the marble staircase and took off towards the Ravenclaw tower. I went straight up to my dormitory, which was empty, and collapsed onto my bed. I rolled onto my back and stared up at the blue curtains of my bed.

After a moment, a feeling of drowsiness overwhelmed me, and I soon dozed off.

“NO!” I shouted. “I WON’T!”