Chapter Four: The Twins

[Chapter Four]

During the first week, Terry became my best friend. He was easy to talk to. Hermione was also a good friend. Once you get past the whole bossy, know-it-all sense, she was very nice. She spent most of her time in the library studying, and sometimes I would go with her. I saw a lot of the twins. They helped Terry and I around a bunch. I had taken a liking to them. Throughout the day, the Slytherins were more and more vile and cruel. I began to wonder if they even liked each other.

On the Wednesday of my second week, I sat in the corner of the Ravenclaw common room. First year Ravenclaws had the last two hours off. Terry had the chair next to me, and he had his nose in a book. I sat there with a piece of parchment and a quill, trying to figure out what to write. After a moment, I got it.

Dear Aunt Andromeda and Uncle Teddy,

My first week of school was great. I’ve made many friends. There are some older boys that will point us in the right direction when we’re lost, and that’s very helpful.

But, I have to admit; it feels a bit odd to be away from home. It’s like a piece of me is missing.

I don’t know what else to write, so I guess I’ll end it here.

Lots of love,

Lucy

I stood up.

“I’m going to the Owlery, Terry,” I said. “I’ll be back later.”

He nodded to show me he heard.

The halls were silent, as most people were in their classes. As I navigated the halls, I found myself lost. I muttered darkly as I tried to find a familiar hallway. I knew I was on the seventh floor, at least.

Wait a moment, I stopped and looked around. I had been in this hall many times before, I was sure of it. There was something off though. There was a door opposite of a tapestry with trolls dancing or something of that sort. I was positive it hadn’t been there before.

As I reached for the door, a small sound came from the end off the hallway. I looked around.

Filch’s cat! Mrs. Norris!

I quickly opened the door and flung myself inside and shut it, locking it. I turned around and found myself in a long corridor. Confused, I began to walk. It seemed like ages before I saw a light up at the end of the corridor, and, relieved, I took off in a sprint.

When I reached the end of the corridor, I found myself in the Owlery. Confused, I turned around and found that the entranceway that I had come through was not there.

“Breathe,” I told myself. “It’s probably just a corridor that shows up briefly then disappears, like the stairs.”

I moved around the room until I found a lovely barn owl that had been watching me with its amber eyes.

“Hello,” I said cheerfully, and the owl hooted in response. “Can you take this to Ted and Andromeda Tonks, please?” I tied the letter the owl’s leg and the owl ruffled his feathers before taking off into flight.

“Why do you do that?” a voice behind me asked.

I jumped, whipping around to see Fred Weasley standing behind me.

“Do what?” I questioned.

“Talk to them like that? Like they’re human,” he said.

I shrugged.

“I don’t know,” I said. “I just do.”

“Anyone else would think you’re crazy,” Fred told me. “You’re lucky that I’m a nice person and won’t tell anyone.” He smiled.