Chapter Three: First Day

[Chapter Three]

I plopped down next to Terry at breakfast; he was sitting alone at the Ravenclaw table and was so far the closest thing I had to a friend.

“Hello,” he said groggily while rubbing his eyes.

“Morning,” I returned after a yawn. A tiny man that I believed was Professor Flitwick, our head of house, scurried forward and handed us our schedules. I rubbed my hand against my cheek as we both peered down at our classes.

Monday:

Transfiguration (with Slytherin) 9:00

Defense Against the Dark Arts (with Gryffindor) 10:00

Lunch (all houses) 11:00

Double History of Magic (with Gryffindor) 12:00

Herbology (with Slytherin) 2:00

Tuesday:

Charms (with Hufflepuff) 9:00

Potions (with Hufflepuff) 10:00

Lunch (all houses) 11:00

Double Defense Against the Dark Arts (with Gryffindor) 12:00

History of Magic 2:00

Wednesday:

Double Herbology (with Slytherin) 9:00

Lunch (all houses) 11:00

Transfiguration (with Slytherin) 12:00

Free Hour

Free Hour

Thursday:

History (with Gryffindor) 9:00

Free Hour

Lunch (all houses) 11:00

Double Potions 12:00

Defense (with Gryffindor) 2:00

Friday:

Double Charms 9:00

Lunch (all houses) 11:00

Double Transfiguration (with Slytherin) 12:00

Herbology (Slytherin) 2:00

I glanced to the Slytherin table where Draco was scanning over his schedule. Next to me, Terry groaned.

“Transfiguration with Slytherin?” He looked across the hall at the Slytherins. “Why does our first class of the day have to be with them?

“It’s only for an hour,” I told him. “We get Defense Against the Dark Arts with Gryffindor next. And then again after lunch.”

“And then we’re back with Slytherin in Herbology,” said Terry irritably.

I couldn’t argue with him. I didn’t like the idea of spending an hour with Draco and those thugs of his.

A grumpy looking Michael Corner and cheerful Anthony Goldstein sat across from us. Mandy Brocklehurst plopped down next to me, and Padma Patil on her other side. Anthony seemed to be the only one that had any bit of energy. He looked over all of us and frowned.

“Come on, you guys,” he said sternly. “Cheer up. It’s the first day, after all.”

“He’s got a good point,” said Padma. Professor Flitwick passed by and gave the others schedules. None of them seemed any bit pleased about being stuck with Slytherin.