Chapter Eleven: Brains vs. Brawn

[Chapter Eleven]

The next week until break ended was one of the best of my life, but it unfortunately had to come to an end.

On the first of January, Fred, George, and I stood waiting the entrance hall for our returning friends.

“TERRY!” I shouted the moment he walked in, bounded right up to him and glomping him.

“It’s good to see you too,” he said, hugging me back and laughing.

“Come on, let’s go to the common room,” I said.

We bade goodbye to Fred and George who were still waiting for Lee and went up to the common room.

“Oh, gosh, I spent the Christmas with the Weasleys and it was so fun!” I babbled on. “McGonagall and Flitwick gave me permission to stay in Gryffindor tower for the holidays so I stayed in Fred and George’s dorm since all their dorm mates were gone and stuff, and we had snowball fights, we played pranks on Percy, and we snuck into the kitchens late at night. It was so fun!”

Terry smiled. Apparently my happiness was contagious.

“So what all did you get for Christmas?” he asked.

“Eh, candy from Fred and George, a book from Hermione, a Weasley sweater from Fred and George’s mum, CDs from my aunt and uncle, and some family stuff from the Malfoys,” I said, counting it off on my fingers.

~x~

The next month just flew by and really nothing happened, unless you counted the Quidditch match. Ravenclaw against Slytherin – it wasn’t pretty. In the early weeks of February, the air began to warm up and the snow melted away, showing the green grass of the grounds.

“Guess what today is,” said Fred as he sat down next to me one Friday morning at the Ravenclaw table.

I glanced around the Great Hall uncertainly. Nothing in particular stood out aside from the sun shining in from the ceiling and windows.

“Er, bright?” I asked.

Fred sighed.

“You don’t pay attention to dates, do you?” he said.

“Not really.” I shrugged.

“It’s the fourteenth!” Fred exclaimed.

I stared at him, still not understanding.

“It’s Valentine’s Day!”

I gave him a strange look as I turned back to my breakfast.

“Are you serious?” Fred demanded.

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you,” I said. “I really don’t understand why you’re making such a big deal out of it.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it? I need someone to be my Valentine!”

I glanced at him, an eyebrow raised.

“Then go find someone to be your Valentine,” I said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“You! I want you to be my Valentine!”

“What?” My fork slipped from my hand and clattered onto my plate.

“George?”

George handed Fred a heart-shaped box and a single red rose. Fred shoved the box into my hands and tucked the rose in with my hair behind my ear, and then kissed me gently on the cheek.

I said something really intelligent along the lines of, “Uhhhh?”

“I’ll see you at lunch,” he said, and he and George left, leaving me still dumbstruck.