Chapter 15

Merida's POV

I can't believe it. He left me. I understand but I just can't believe it. My father and the guards brought me home, where my mother greeted me with a tight and warm hug. Not as tight and warm as Hiccup's. Yes, we are different but why should this be bad. I pulled away from my mother and ran to my room, locking myself in, again. I got a new cabinet, after the other one broke as I tried to escape again. They locked my window so I couldn't run again, and even if I break it open, there was no hay I would fall in and be safe. Even If I tried to run, where should I go? He is probably off to Berk already. I would be happy for him if he would find the way back home but I would be happier having him here, right now. I would be happier in his arms, not crying in front of my window. I ran my fingers trough my red curls in despair and slit down on the side of my bed, laying my head on my bed frame. Hiccup was all going trough my mind. Even the knock on the door couldn't bring me out. “Merida? Merida please... would ye open the door for me?” It was my fathers voice. My sadness turned into anger and I started to scream. “No! Not in a thousand years! Ye took him away from me! I loved him and I hadn't even the chance to tell him before he was gone! I will never marry someone who isn't Hiccup! And since he is gone, I will never leave this room! I will die here! This will be my room at day and at night! This is where I die!” I couldn't make out if he was still outside or not but I knocked my fist against the bed frame several times. “Merida...” He was still there. I clenched my teeth, screaming he should go to hell. I didn't realized I hurt him really bad at this moment, but I didn't care at all. A different voice appeared from the other side of the door as I heard harsh footsteps leaving and mumbling. “A princess doesn't...” My mother tried to educate me once again. As if this helps right now. “Go away! I don't need yer stupid 'a princess doesn't do that' and 'a princess doesn't do this' bullshit!”, I screamed once again and the rain dashed against my window. It was silent for a while before she spoke again. “I know how you feel. And please don't yell at me now!” Silence. Again. But I didn't yelled at her. “Thank you. I know it's hard to lose someone you love... I was worried sick when you ran away. Who knows where he would take you, or what he would do to you...” The anger spoke again, and I got so angry I heard myself talking but it wasn't me. It was my voice, but I was so angry I couldn't control what I said. I felt like in a bubble outside my body, leaving it but letting the anger stay in and control it. “Don't ye dare talk about him like that! Yer love for me is nothing compared to Hiccup's and mine! Why are ye doing this to me? Why can't ye just let me be! What is yer damn problem? Wanna know my problem? I hate ye all! Everyone! Just leave me alone!” I wanted to stop but I just can't. I blamed my mother for everything, my father and even my brothers. The guards and the villagers too. The wrath inside of me was devouring me. I screamed so much I couldn't get any air. I could barley breathe and I just collapsed crying on the ground. I was OK, well, physically but not mentally. Why are they doing this? And how will this continue?

Hiccup's POV

I saw them leaving. Angry with myself, with my action I kicked a stone into the forest. Toothless puts his head under my hand, signalizing me to pet him. At least I got Toothless. I could fly home with him, if I'll ever find it. I hope the people at Berk don't worry too much but I have to explain everything. Toothless suddenly threw a light fireball to the fireplace and lit the fire from last night again. I guess staying a little longer and calm down before flying is a good idea, maybe the best. The fire was warm, but only short in my opinion. I had no Idea how long I sat here before the rain started. It could have been days and I wouldn't even notice it. My stomach growled and Toothless looked worried. “Relax... I'm OK... somehow... I guess.” With every minute, a piece of my heart falls into the darkness and despair, which grow with every second. Toothless held one of his wings upon me so I wouldn't get wetter than I am now. “She won't come back, right?”, I asked Toothless but knew he couldn't answer. The rain was pretty loud and my ears heard nothing but the rustle of the wind and my eyes saw nothing but the dark shadows of the trees and my body never felt colder. “I'm so stupid. She probably hates me right now. But we just weren't meant to be... I mean, look at her father and then look at me...” I said but I got distracted as Toothless looked away and back to me and gave me a confused look. A sudden splash from a puddle made me rise from my position. “She doesn't hate ye. She hates me.”, I heard a familiar voice coming nearer. Fergus, the king. Toothless growled and Fergus backed away. Was he afraid? I lifted my hand to Toothless, telling him, everything is fine. What does the king want now, and were is his army? “I was wrong, I'm sorry. I was just... I don't know. I knew she wouldn't take one of the candidates like every time... but you. I don't know anything about you and... this.” He pointed to Toothless. I frowned, telling him about the dragons at Berk and me being a dragon trainer. His eyes widen and he gulped before he puts his hands together and talked again. “OK, look.. I don't know why I did this. I was... I...” What did he meant? He wanted her to get married, or not? A thought, as banal as me being a dragon trainer talking to the king of Scotland, hit me. “You were afraid you would lose her.”, I determined slowly looking into his eyes. “You love your daughter and if it's up to you, you would keep her forever, and let her be... but the queen insists of the traditions, right?” His jaw dropped and it seems like he realized something. After he cleared his throat and the rain turned to strong wind, he seemed pretty nervous. “She's locked in her room. She said, she will never leave it if it's not for ye.” My heart stopped for a moment and hope came back. “She won't leave and marry someone but ye!” He came closer and was serious. “Please, for the love of all, for yer twos love, will you marry my daughter?” My jaw dropped as he asked me to marry Merida. Yes! I will. Say it! “Yes. But why did you change your mind over me?” He chuckled before he answered: “I believe in you as a strong man! You can train dragons, so you can tame her. Well... you already did, somehow.” We turned around as we heard a thunder. “Hurry! We need to get you to the castle!”, he yelled over the sound of storm and thunder. “I can't leave Toothless...”, I started but he cut me off. “Can he carry us both?” My eyes widen and Toothless lifted his head in vanity. I nodded to Fergus and helped him up and guided him by Fergus description. Luckily no lightning hit us on our way and we made it to the kingdom, landing in front of the castle. People started to panic but the king jumped of and calmed them down: “People of DunBroch! Ye don't need do be afraid! Yes, it is a dragon, but he is nice! If anyone dares to touch it, or hurt it, he will pay for this!” Everyone nodded and backed off slowly and started frowning as they saw me. Some of them 'buh'ed at me but the king made them shut. “Don't you dare to 'buh' my future son-in-law!” People hushed as fast as they started and some just went home or at least away. We entered the castle and heard yelling upstairs.