Chapter 10

3rd Person POV

He pulled the hood over her head. Some streaks of her hair hung out of it. Merida wasn't cold anymore but she still shivered. She was the one to be sorry, not Hiccup. The rain sounded soothing for both of them. Anger, anxiety, guilt and hurt went away. The previously wild throbbing heart of Merida slowed down and the shaking hands of Hiccup calmed down, as they smiled at each other, asking their self, if the other one likes them as much as they do. But Hiccup has to find Toothless and Merida has to marry a man she never met. It's their fate. Or is it? A blue light outside the window distracted Merida and she gasped loudly. If you had the chance to change your fate... would you? Hiccup was confused and thought the guards came with lanterns already. Blue lanterns? His way to the window was led by his curiosity and his frown turned into a surprised face as his eyes widened, seeing little Will O' the Wisps forming a path. The feel of excitement came up in Merida again when she run outside, into the rain, to follow the path. Hiccup was close to her heels, following her into the rain. Maybe the wisps will bring them to the clearing, to Toothless or somewhere else. Merida's speed amazed Hiccup, who could barely follow. The clouds turned the sky into a mix of blue and gray, with tiny raindrops. Suddenly, the wisps where gone and Merida stopped, causing Hiccup to bump her, knocking both of them from their feet and falling into a trench. So close. They were as close as never before. Merida blushed tomato red and hurried to stand up, while Hiccup lay in the trench, with a head, just as red as hers. Both wanted to apologize but Merida put her hand before her mouth, hearing voices. “Damn... Why did she run away?”, a deep male voice said. “I don't know, but she screamed to her father... 'you lied to me' or something.”, another male voice said, but in a higher pitch. “Anyways... if we find her, the King will give us great money! And maybe if we sell her on black marked, we can make even more!” Merida's face went blank. They were talking about her. She was to shocked to move, imagining all the things they would do if they find her. Hiccup didn't hear anything about the loud rustle of the bushes around his head and was even more confused seeing her standing like she saw a monster. He gulped. Do monsters live in this forest? Nonsense... there are no Monsters here. He got up but his movement cut Merida out of her dreams, pushing him back to the ground and laying herself over him, burring her face in his chest, as close as possible so they won't be seen. This was awkward, but she couldn’t risk it. “They are here...”, she whispered scared. It was pretty dark so they wouldn't be visible under the black coat Merida wore. It covered them both, even while Hiccup was taller than her. “What do you mean?”, he said in a medium leveled voice, but a bit anger was still there. She shivered and tried to explain, but the fear of being heard was to big. “They... villagers... please, just be quite.”, she whispered. Hiccup rose an eyebrow, not taking her serious. “Who? What? Explain yourself, god damn!”, he nearly yelled at her. She didn't want to argue with him and thinking about getting caught because he won't shut up scared her even more and brought her near the tears. “P-please, be quiet.”, she whispered and her voice got even quieter as she heard footsteps. A provocative and angry 'Make me...' by Hiccup, made Merida wince but before he could say another word, she made him shut up. She made him hut up by kissing him. It happened so fast, Hiccup didn't really realized but after a few seconds he kissed her back and heard the footsteps too. He felt stupid, bringing her near her tears and being angry at her. His feelings for her are to big to reject her and Merida's feelings for him where too. She wanted to kiss him so bad, even before now, but she needed to control but know she could do it, without worries like her father. How could he be angry with her? How could he be angry at all? It wasn't her fault. Her father is the problem. Many other things rushed in Hiccup's head but one gave him a shiver. “What if she just kissed me to keep me quiet? Does she even like me?” Merida felt a similar way. “What if he doesn't like me? This is so awkward...” Both enjoyed their first kiss, but it felt wrong and forced for both. After Merida pulled away she apologized hasty and was about to stand up but Hiccup pressed her against his chest, whispering toneless in her ear: “We don't know if they are here, or if they are gone.” He smiled but she couldn't see. She buried her face in his chest, again. She was so upset with herself and the kiss, risking their friendship. Could you call it friendship? She wanted to kiss him, but she wasn't sure if it was right and if he liked her. But he likes her. The coat kept them both warm in this rainy afternoon. Hours passed, both didn't moved out of the trench or said a word. It was strange. Merida couldn't take this silence anymore. “I'm sorry...”, she spoke quite but loud enough for Hiccup to hear. “It's... it's OK. I mean... it's OK if it wasn't only to make me shut up.”, he said stern and a little bit hurt. “No! It wasn't! I swear! Please, don't think like that about me...”, she nearly yelled hasty. Good thing no one was around anymore. Hiccup sighed but before he could stand his man and tell her his feelings, they got distracted by a blue light surrounding them. The wisps were back.