Chapter 5

Hiccups POV

„Did she just asked me for a date, by inviting me for dinner?”, were the words running trough my mind. It made me nervous somehow, thinking about me and her having a date. But I guess her parents will be there, too. Merida interrupted my worries with her words: “So... tell me about ye. How did ye get here?” I peeked at her but turned away after a few seconds, thinking I may look creepy if I look at her the hole time. I started to explain: “Well, I'm from Berk. It's an Isle. I'm not sure how far away this is, or which direction you have to...” I stopped after seeing Merida's confused face. “Something wrong?” She hesitated but answered slowly: “I've never heard of an Isle named 'Berk'.” The way she pronounced 'Berk' made me chuckle a bit. She started to giggle and we finished together, which made us giggle even more. Closing my eyes while taking a deep breath brought me back to the topic. “Yeah.. uhm.. It seems not to be very popular here in...?” “Scotland.” I shrugged and said: “Never heard of it either. Anyways... I wanted to test how far I could fly with Toothless and I commanded him to fly as high as he could and we ended up flying over the clouds.” I looked into her blue eyes widen as I spoke the last part of my sentence. I thought she would ask something like 'Really? Over the clouds!? Wow that's cool.' But she remained silent. “Uhm... we saw, something like, a pit or a gap in the clouds and Toothless flew in. Over the clouds was like nothing but in that gap was... Hell or something. Metaphorically of course. It was like a storm or a tornado... however, there were clouds and Thunder...” “Thunder!?”, Merida repeated shocked and disbelieving, putting her hand before her mouth. “Yes, but for our surprise no lightning.”, I added and heard her sighing relieved. “The wind was pretty loud and Toothless was flying deeper and deeper. And all of the sudden there was a whistle and Toothless breaks trough the clouds, following the whistle, I guess. Well, It started to rain, but we dried fast because Toothless was flying really fast and we broke out of this... 'thing'. It had a suspicious form for a cloud and uhm... we kinda landed here after a long flight over the ocean.” I said and I think it's a bit creepy watching her reactions but it was fun because one moment she was amazed, then she was frowning, shocked literally everything. I couldn't stand the awkward silence between us but I didn't know what to say, because I told her everything and she looked like she was thinking about something. She formed a half-rounded and half-edged triangle-circle thing with her thumbs and her index fingers, still frowning. She lifted her hands towards my chin, reminding me of a toddler showing something to an adult but being too small, saying “Something like that?” It was cute, if you ask me. I lay my hand around her wrist and made her fingers forming a more edgier triangle, adding “More like this.” But thinking about how she could guess the form more or less right, made me frown. “Do you know this place?” She slightly nodded and her eyes sparkled and she began to tell me tales and legends about the 'Bermuda-Triangle'. Many ships sunk there. As I listened to her, I thought this would be nonsense, but slowly thought this might be true. We made it out of the forest to a small sandy path. Dragons are normal for us, here they are just mythical creatures or monsters in fairy tales. I never heard about Scotland, she never heard about Berk. Well but that could just be an education gap. I turned my attention back to Merida, who was jumping up and down while being excited about this 'Bermuda-Triangle' stuff. She looked so cute and beautiful. I chuckled and she turned to me. “What?”, she asked blushing red. I shook my head, telling her everything was alright and she continued dancing and jumping joyful but she stopped as she heard people near by. Seems like we are near the town, but why did she stop being so cute? She cleared her throat and lowered her shoulders, walking with a straight back. I rose an eyebrow and she whispered to me, but I couldn't hear her and just looked straight forward as someone came to us. “Ah. Princess! Your mother called for you. We were worried.” Wait. Princess!? Merida smiled bright, letting go a: “Don't worry, I'm fine.” but rushed adding, as if it was something important “AND! Uhm and, I brought a guest... for dinner.” I could see her blushing while pointing at me so the woman looked to me. “And this is...?” I realized that she was talking to me, not to Merida. “Oh. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, Ma'am.”, I said not knowing what to do so I just held my hands around my back. I saw Merida holding back a giggle. “Oh... uhm OK, well. I'm gonna tell your mother you are home, Princess Merida.”, the woman said hesitating. She looked at me like she was going to kill me or something and I gulped quietly before she turned around leaving us, entering the castle. “What was that?”, Merida couldn't stop laughing while she tried to talk. “Yer face was priceless! Didn't expect me bein' a princess, did ye?” I lowered my shoulders and sighed depressed. “You could have told me! I may have acted different.”, I cried. She finally caught her breath and stopped laughing. “Oh C'mon! Why? I like the way ye act. Ye are c---”, she pressed her fingers on her lips, blushing even more. What was she going to say? Why isn't she telling me? She coughed and stroked her dress while avoiding eye contact with me. After that, I realized that her farther, the King, was heading towards us.