Chapter 7

3rd Person POV

He patted her head. He couldn't kiss her. He couldn't hug her. Not in public and definitely not after hearing that she is getting married. “What's bugging you?”, he asked calm “Where is that sassy but caring 'lass' I met this morning? You know her? She looks like you. Red curls, round face, pale skin,” Merida started to giggle and he continued. “gorgeous blue eyes... Uhm and she ripped off like half of her petticoat for me.” she started to laugh and softly hit his chest. “Stop it! Ye are making me blush... you goof.” This was the first time he heard her saying 'you' instead of 'ye'. “Come on. Let's just enjoy the day. Without fighting. And maybe we should get a doctor first... I don't think your 'bandage' will do it any longer.”, he was stern about what he said. She felt the butterflies in her stomach, big excited butterflies. All of the sudden, she grabbed his hand, turned around and pulled him with her, bringing him to a doctors house. He laughed. There was his caring girl. Wait, his? Sunken in their own little world, they didn't notice Merida's parents observing them the whole time. “So... that's why she blushed and ran away earlier. Fergus, are you sure, we should to this tomorrow?”, the queen said with worries while turning to her husband. She sat on the window, he at his table, sighing about what she asked. “It's too late to cancel it and tell all the Lords and Clan-leaders. This boy, Hiccup, is kind but I don't think he could make it. He's a viking that doesn't seem to fight. Something... something just tells me, he isn't the right.” Elinor sighed as she took a last look, seeing her daughter entering the house “Maybe you're right... we shouldn't cancel the fest tomorrow. But I don't think, he wants to see.” Fergus frowned disappointed, laying down his writing instrument, telling her, he invited him to come. “It's his choice. But if he disturbs it, make sure, he will disappear and don't let Merida know.”, lifting herself out of the chair, those were her words before she left the room, heading to her bedroom to get some sleep. The baby left her sleepless this night. The doctor said, she needs her rest, else it isn't healthy for her and the baby. But that wasn't the only thing he said: “Better be careful! Don't move trough the woods if the princess is up for some archery, young man.” He bound Hiccup's arm with a proper bandage and told him he should not be working too much for the rest of the day. Hiccup smirked at Merida, thinking something like 'And you wanted to fight me.' while she rolled her eyes giggling. After the doctor was done and gave Hiccup the permission to go, he bowed down to Merida, teasing her by calling her Princess, and escorted her to the outside. She was amused by this, even if it was kinda embarrassing. They linked arms with each other and he opened the door like a gentleman. She rose an eyebrow, with a slight grin, and passed trough it. “My, my. Why are ye so polite? Suddenly acting like a gentleman.”, she laughed. He shrugged and closed the door behind her, smiling at her: “Who knows?” His smile gave her a shiver and she started to grin. “Let's walk a bit. I want to know ye better!”, she said, trying to cover how excited she actually was. “OK, but only, if I also get to know you better. Oh and I don't want you to conceal anything big like that princess thing, alright?” Both agreed and started to walk. They talked about the basics, like age or birthdays. She was 19 years old, he was 20. She didn't mind being younger. The way they talked, how he treated her, how he smiled at her, made her fall for him. Merida finally admitted it to herself. She likes him very much. The sun was slowly setting down, as they reached the market square. “What? It was.. noon when we started and now the sun is settin' already?”, Merida complained while running her fingers trough her hair. Hiccup snickered and patted her back, pointing out, that there will be more time the next day. Which was wrong, but both didn't really knew. She growled and covered her face with her hair, until the moment she got an idea. Hiccup didn't even noticed how fast she was standing in the middle of the market square. Dancing in a circle and turning around towards the sun. Hiccup smiled and gave her the look. You all know what I mean, don't you? She smiled her brightest smile and turned to Hiccup. “C'mon, dance with me!”, she spread her arm in his direction, but he just shook his head and laughed. “I'm sorry, I can't dance, I'm too clumsy... and I think, your parents would appreciate it if you would be home, before the sun is gone.” Her shoulders sagged down from disappointment and her head rolled with her eyes but he wouldn't obey her, even if she's the princess. He stood there until she slowly toddled back to him, punching is arm softly, mumbling 'spoilsport'. “Ah! I forgot to show you the INN! Where would you sleep if I wouldn't have thought about it in the last second!”, she made up to spend just a little more time with him. Hiccup, pointing to a door with a shield saying 'INN', and raising an eyebrow, made Merida loosing this chance. It's not like he wouldn't want to spend more time with her, but the thoughts of Merida getting married coming up again. He wasn't allowed to, regardless to the fact, that her father, the king, would probably just kill him if he touched her. He brought her to the castle door, and they stood in awkward silence, looking in each others eyes. This day was the best day in Merida's life, but she knew this couldn't be because he wasn't from here. He wasn't even from this world or universe. A slightly depressed sigh escaped her mouth, thinking about this. He knew it as well. Even if her father would accept their feelings, Hiccup couldn't stay here. He belongs to Berk. To the dragons. His hands found the way to her hair, combing through it softly. With a sad smile and a goodbye, pulling his hand out of her wild curly mane, touching her cheek for a second, feeling the heat rushing in it, he turned around, and left. She watched him as her heart pumped heavy in her chest, making it hard to breath right. Even as he wasn't in her sight, she stayed until the sun was gone completely and entered the castle, leaning against the door as she closed it again. “Merida? We need to talk.”, said a muffling voice from a room up the stairs. The door was open and she entered quietly. Her father looked at her. Guilty and aware of what will happen, he started to speak: “It's about tomorrow.” Merida frowned but didn't interrupted him. “Are you aware, that you can't be single forever? Of course you are, dear. Tomorrow will be a big day, once again, but I could already tell how it will end...”, he stood up slowly and Merida started to talk: “Wait? What do you mean?” She looked at him in awe as she realized what he was talking about, letting go a strangled 'no' which forced itself out of her throat. He felt guilty but he had to do it. Her heart was beating harder then before, making her feel like she's going to spit it out. She took deep breaths and ran out of the room to reach her bedroom and cry in her pillow. She never did when he said man will fight for her hand. She just growled and was upset, but crying was none of the things she did before in this situation. Before she reached her door, ready to open it and smashing her face into her pillow, the first tears were running down her cheeks. Hiccup expected nothing. 

(A/N: You where thinking they would kiss, didn't you? HAH! Sorry to shatter your dreams, but they didn't, as you may, or may not, have read. Also, I would like to thank you all for over 50 reads! This is amazing! It was like 7 days ago when I uploaded the first chapter. WOW! And thanks for alle the votes! Keep reading! Next chapter will be the part where the story has it's REAL begining :) Thanks again for everyting!)