Chapter 22

Mabel's POV

"Hey, Mabel?"

I heard the voice of my twin brother, not looking away from his journal who he refuses to put away.

"Yeah?" I answer while laying horizontally on his lap, my feet dangling in the air and my hand supporting my head, reading a girl magazine I have grown to love so much.

"How... well..." The room went silent, and Dipper laid his hands on the opened journal. He sighed, with a hint of frustration and defeat. His stared at the ground on his right, his back leaning against the triangular window we were sitting, and laying, against. When he didn't continue, I said:

"What?"

Again, silence. After a few seconds of waiting, and me unpatiently staring at the bright lipstick that was placed on the right page of my magazine, he finally spoke up:

"Do... do you think we will always be like this?" His knee started to poke into my stomach, making me uncomfortably shift. I raised my eyebrow in confusion and raised my head to look at him.

"Whaaaaat are you talking about?" I asked, stretching the "a" in "what." Dipper closed his journal, holding his thumb between the pages he was reading. He was always too neat to fold the edge of the page, especially with his precious journal. A small smile rested on his lips.

"I mean, it's always fun being with you! We play, we do stupid stuff, we go on adventures... but... will it last forever?" The glimpse of a smile changed into a sad frown. I silently looked up at him, stretching my neck at an uncomfortable angle.

"I-"

"And do I want it to last forever?" He added. Where was this suddenly coming from? Did he not like my company? Or, did he not like me?

"Huh?"

I mean, eventually, you'll have a family on your own! T-the same for me! Y'know... move on. Marriage! Jobs! Kids... All that stuff..." His frown turned even sadder while spitting out every single thing we were way too young for the even think about.

"Grown up stuff, yeah? So what's the problem there?" I flinched when Dipper firmly closed the journal and laid it next to him. He stared up at the ceiling, lost in his confusion thoughts.

"It's just that when that time comes... we won't be this close anymore." His voice was so sad that I seriously started to be worried about him. This isn't the Dipper I knew and loved! I liked the nerdy, rambling, paranoid Dipper more than this weird philosophical boy.

"I-I like this life... And I'm not sure if I wa-"

"Sssssh!" I laid my index finger on top of his lips, sitting up so my face was right in front of him. I didn't want him to think like that, and the only way to stop his stupid rambling was by forcefully interrupting his speech.

"You worry too much, Dipper," I rested my elbow on his lap, head in my hand, "think about it: we both have friends, and we spend time with them! We... even fall in love with the people we like... I mean relationships are huge commitments..." Now it was my turn to stare off, thinking of all the failed attempts in getting a relationship. But, remembering that I had to talk Dipper out of his worries and slight existential crisis, I immediately fell back into my familiar supporting role.

"But here we are, still close as always! Of course we will always stay together silly, we're twins!" I playfully punched his thigh, but no response was given. Just those big, sad brown eyes staring down at his lap.