Part 13

Status: rewritten and updated to be less cringe.

"Pony...Ponyboy..."

I groaned and roll over, finding Johnny hovering over me. "Hmm?" I'm still half asleep, and very confused as to why he his here. Panic floods my veins "What is it Johnny? What's wrong?"

To my surprise, he kisses me quickly. "Please get up." He kisses me again. "I want to go to the coffee shop."

"Coffee shop?" I yawn and sit up, glancing at the clock. "It's not even six a.m. yet."

"I know that. I wanted to go before school." He pulls me out of bed. "Come on, I wanna get there soon." 

I sighed and rub my eyes before really waking up. I start picking out an outfit. I hate getting up extremely early because it makes me have no motivation to try to look good for the day ahead. I pull on a pair of jeans and an old t shirt before heading to the bathroom to brush my teeth and fix my hair. As I grease my auburn strands, Johnny wrapped his arms around me from behind. This is all very unusual for him. He's usually shy and timid and doesn't like showing affection much. I turn back to look at him. "What is going on?"

"Nothing." He kisses me again and then walks out of the room. I just stare in confusion, having no idea where all of this was coming from. We'd been officially dating for a few weeks now, and after our talk, nothing changed really. He was never this "lovey" towards me. I finish up my hair, brush my teeth, and walk downstairs. Johnny is sitting in the couch tapping his foot lightly. "Hey," he smiles. "Your brother said he'd give us a ride."

Darry walks out from the kitchen dressed in his work clothes. "So we need to leave now if I wanna make it to work on time."

I grab mine and Johnny's books off the side table. "We're ready." I say and we all walk out to the Ford.

-

Darry drops us off and we both go into the shop. I immediately sigh at the amazing aroma, and look back to the booth where Johnny and I had first sat at. He's looking at it too, smiling. "Why don't you sit down and I'll get our stuff." I try to protest, but he is already walking to the counter to order. I smile to myself and sit down at our booth. He walks over a few minutes later with two coffees and a box of muffins. "Here you go, Pony."

"Thank you for buying it." I take a bite of the chocolate muffin.

"It's no trouble. Anything for you." He reaches across the table and holds my hand.

I swallow, and debate my next question in my mind for a little bit. Although I love his behavior, I want to know why he had suddenly become like this. "Hey Johnny?" He hums. "Can I ask...what's with all of this?"

"All of what?"

"The pet names, the date, the kisses, the hand holding...you know, all of this."

He gives me a half smile. "I guess it is unusual for me...I'm just excited that's all!"

"Excited for what?"

"Darry...last night he told me that if I wanted to, I could move in with you guys."

"What?" I nearly yell, earning a few annoyed stares from the other people in the shop. I don't care though. I'm too focused on what Johnny has told me. "Are you serious?"

He stares at me and nods. "Yeah..I don't have to though. I won't if you don't want me to."

I reach across the table and grab his hand. "Of course I want you to! I want nothing more than for you to get out of that awful house of yours!"

Johnny grins and leans across the table, kissing my lips quickly. "Well, since I'm gonna be living with you, I figured you might know something."

"What's that?"

He takes a deep breath. "I...I love you Ponyboy. I've never loved anybody in my entire life. No one. But...you managed to crawl your way into my heart, and I love you for that."

I stare in shock, before smiling in disbelief. "Johnny, I, I love you too."