Part 1

Status: Chapter edited and rewritten to be less cringe

It's a strange feeling, watching someone climb over the edge of a bridge. Part of your brain tries to convince yourself that what you think you're seeing isn't really what's happening. Maybe he just wants a good look at the view. Maybe he's just looking for a thrill. Or maybe he's trying to throw himself off of it.

Quickly and quietly, I walk over, trying not to scare the boy. 

"Hey..." I say casually, trying hard to hide any emotion in my voice. 

He flinches and eyes me, his breathing getting deeper. "Please go away..." he mumbles.

"Look, I don't know you or why you're up here, but I can't just go away now." I glance down, placing my hands on the railing. "It's a pretty long fall..." 

He looks down with me and leans back, gripping onto the bridge tighter. "Yeah, I know." The guy looks back at me. "Please just leave me alone. No one would have to know you even saw me like this."

"I think that you'd regret it as soon as you let go." I say. How my voice is still calm and even, I don't know. I feel anything but. 

"it'd be too late at that point though, wouldn't it?" He shrugs and continues to look down.

"What's your name?" I ask, trying to redirect the conversation. My heart feels as though it may beat out of my chest. 

He finally tears his eyes away from the sight in front of him, giving me a puzzled look. "Johnny."

"Like Johnny Cash?" I asked, offering a slight smile. 

One eyebrow raises and he shakes his head, the faintest smile making its way to his lips, too. "No, not like Johnny Cash. I don't even listen to him."

I shrug. "Me either. I think Elvis is better than people like him."

"Yeah," Johnny agrees, quietly. "He's pretty good."

"I think so." I nod. "There's this coffee shop up the road, they got a juke box with almost all his songs. I like to hang out there after school, it's kind of like my own little alternate reality, away from all my problems. I was on my way there now actually. Would you maybe wanna come with me?"

He slowly turns to face me, still on the other side of the bridge. "A coffee shop?"

I nod. "Yeah. The coffee is pretty good too. Like, warms your soul and all that."

"Well, it is kinda cold out here, I guess." his lips purse. He's thinking it over. 

My heart pounds. Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes. 

"I could go for a coffee right now, what about you?" I hold out my hand, silently begging for him to take it.

He stares. "You said it feels like an alternate reality? Like a whole new world?"

"It does to me, at least. I don't usually go there with anyone else, so I'd be happy to share the experience with a stranger."

He takes one more look behind him at the long, long fall, before taking my hand and climbing over, back to safety. "I guess I could use another world right now."

I don't want to let go of his hand, but I do. 

"I hope it doesn't disappoint." I smile at him. Part of me feels like he's gonna make a run for the bridge when I'm not looking. "Oh," I shake my head. "I just realized I never told you my name." 

"I know who you are, Ponyboy Curtis."

I'm slightly taken aback. "You do?"

"We go to the same school. Kinda hard to not know of someone named 'Ponyboy.' No offense." 

"None taken, I see your point." We walk up the street for a few more minutes before arriving at the shop.

It's almost like I can see some tension leave Johnny's body as we walk inside. "It smells so good in here.

"I think so too." We make our way to the counter. "What do you want?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "I don't have any money. I'm fine with just sitting in here. It's warm at least." 

"I got you, don't worry."

"I can't ask you to do that." 

"You're not asking. I'm offering. I've always wanted to share this place with someone, and none of my brothers or buddies ever come. It's my treat, really." I smile, trying to show my sincerity. 

"Well, okay. But I'll pay you back. I don't have anything on me because..." he trails off. "Well I guess I just didn't think I'd need anything."

"I know." Is all I say back. It feels awkward. "Go pick out a seat. I'll surprise you with something." 

I end up ordering us both a coffee and a muffin. "I hope you like chocolate," I say as I slide into the chair across from Johnny, handing him the double chocolate chip muffin. 

"It's good." he nods and takes a hesitant bite. "Really good." Soon he can't stop himself, and takes bite after bite until the muffin is gone. He starts sipping on his coffee and I wonder when the last time he's eaten was. 

"Why don't I go turn some Elvis on?" I'm not really asking. I stand up and head to the jukebox, flipping through the songs before deciding on 'Can't Help Falling in Love.' I buy another muffin and give it to him. 

"You didn't have to do that." 

"I know." 

I can tell he doesn't want to, but he eats it anyway. I swallow. "When's the last time you ate?" The question seems to cross a boundary. I realize that as soon as the words leave my mouth. But I'm curious and he honestly doesn't seem to mind. 

Johnny just shrugs. "Only a day or so," he laughs under his breath.  "All this food is making me sleepy." 

'All this food,' being two muffins. 

I realize that our time together is going to end soon. I don't want to leave him alone. "Wanna come over to my house? Maybe spend the night?"

An eyebrow raises. "Stranger danger?" 

"You already said you know who I am."

"Good point." He thinks about the offer for a second, before shrugging. "Guess I got nothing better to do."